This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Creamy Tortellini Soup is a flavorful and easy slow cooker meal. Rich tomato soup with tortellini, sausage, and spinach are slow cooked to perfection.
Featured with this recipe
Creamy Tortellini Soup is one of the most hearty, warm, filling dishes ever! There’s nothing better than gathering the family around the table with bowls of comforting, nourishing soup and warm bread. During the winter months it seems we linger at the table a little longer, filling bowl after bowl of this rich soup, savoring its creamy flavor and catching up on conversation and good times. This is one of our family’s favorite tortellini soup recipes. Fresh tortellini, sausage, and spinach give the meal extra bulk, while the creamy tomato base warms your insides and your soul. Plus, the whole thing can be made ahead of time and will simmer all day in the slow cooker so dinner is done by the time you get home!
Ingredients in Creamy Tortellini Soup
Toss all of these simple ingredients into the slow cooker and dinner will be ready in no time! Here’s what you need for this easy soup:
- Italian sausage – about one pound. Brown in a medium pan on the stovetop, then drain and add to the soup.
- 16 ounces cheese tortellini – you can use fresh tortellini or frozen.
- Fresh spinach – I like to use the baby spinach leaves, about 15 ounces. The spinach will wilt down as it cooks.
- Italian style diced tomatoes – Find these canned tomatoes in the canned foods aisle, and make sure to drain the juice before adding to the soup.
- Cream cheese – one brick, softened and cut into chunks. This gives the soup lots of creamy texture without adding heavy cream.
- 4 cups chicken broth – use homemade chicken stock or low sodium broth.
- Salt and pepper – to taste
Additional Ingredients or Substitutions
Fore more flavor or different textures, try adding any of these ingredients to your soup:
- Kale in place of spinach
- Minced garlic and diced onion
- Diced carrots and celery
- Fresh basil, oregano, thyme or Italian seasoning.
- Parmesan cheese
- Tomato sauce
- For a vegetarian variation, use mushrooms instead of sausage and substitute vegetable stock for chicken broth.
- If you like your food spicy, add a few shakes of red pepper flakes to the crock pot before cooking.
- Turkey sausage
- Non or low fat cream cheese for an even healthier option. Just a warning though: Neufchatel (⅓ fat of cream cheese) doesn’t melt as well and leaves little curds.
Frequently Asked Questions about Creamy Tortellini Soup
You can cook this soup on the stove in a Dutch oven or a heavy pot. Bring ingredients to a boil, then stir with a wooden spoon and let it simmer until done. You can also give it a try in the instant pot!
Never add the noodles to the hot soup too soon. The pasta will continue to cook in the soup’s hot broth, so you don’t want them cooking in there too long.
This soup makes delicious leftovers, but doesn’t freeze well. Soups with any kind of cream or milk base tend to separate with freezing and leads to a grainy texture. Instead, refrigerate leftovers and enjoy the soup within three to five days.
Read Next:Easy Lunch Ideas
More Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Soups to Try
How to Make Creamy Tortellini Soup
Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Put all ingredients in the slow cooker on low heat.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally if possible.
- Stir well and serve in individual bowls.
- Brown the Italian sausage in a medium pan on the stovetop, then drain and add to the soup.
- Don’t add the tortellini to the soup too soon or the noodles can become mushy.
- Avoid using non or low fat cream cheese. Neufchatel (⅓ fat of cream cheese) doesn’t melt as well and leaves little curds.