These one pot (well.. technically one ‘pan’) skinny creamy garlic noodles are a HUGE hit with my family. We have made them about at least a month for the last several months using all sorts of variations. My kids are crazy about them and request them all the time (and I am happy to oblige because they are SO easy)! This recipe doesn’t use heavy cream or large amounts of butter, but it tastes JUST as good as recipes that do. Cooking the noodles in the chicken broth and milk is like magic. No draining and only ONE POT to clean! If you want to make these noodles into a rounded-out meal, you can add veggies like broccoli, peas, asparagus… you get the picture. You can also top it off with grilled chicken.
If you want to add chicken but don’t have a grill or don’t want to bother with grilling, you can season the chicken with Italian seasoning and cook it up in the same skillet you want to cook the noodles in (before cooking the noodles). Just saute the chicken until it is cooked most of the way through and remove from the pan, place on a plate, and cover. Wipe the pan out (be careful because the pan will be hot) and make the noodles as per the recipe below. Add the chicken after a few minutes into the noodles simmering and follow the rest of the recipe as directed. This way it is still a “one pot meal” and you only have one pot to clean up after cooking! Same goes for if you decide to add vegetables. You can make these noodles as a full meal or as an easy side dish– totally up to you!
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14oz) cans chicken broth (about 3 3/4 c.)
- 2 1/2 c. milk (add more if needed)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Lb. pasta noodles, uncooked (I like using linguini)
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. basil
- 2/3 c. Parmesan cheese
- 4 c. broccoli (optional)
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and cut into strips (optional. See notes above on how to make chicken part of the "one-pot" meal if you don't want to grill)
- In a large, 5-6 quart skillet, heat butter over medium heat (If you don't have a large skillet, a stock-pot works well, too). Add garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add chicken broth, milk, 2 Tbsp. butter, pasta noodles, salt and pepper, and basil. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer stirring occasionally for 16-20 minutes or until noodles have cooked through.
- If you are wanting to add broccoli, add it after about 10 minutes into the simmering process. Stir in Parmesan when noodles are finished cooking and add a little milk if necessary if necessary to reach your desired consistency.
This recipe is adapted from Yellow Bliss Road – check her out!