This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This creamy tomato basil soup with sausage rivals the best restaurant tomato basil soup. The sausage and seasonings give it a rich and hearty flavor.
Featured in this recipe
Creamy basil tomato soup is all things comforting and delicious! It is a blend of tomatoes, basil, oregano, chunks of sausages, and a creamy base that is thick and filling! You can make this with or without the sausage, both ways are good! Blend together and simmer for the best-tasting soup!
Cook this classic creamy tomato soup on the stove top until it is heated making this a delicious comfort food year round! This is a great dinner that can be made one or with a side dish. Try this as a complete meal with these grown up margherita grilled cheese sandwiches. We even love to dip it in the soup!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Ingredients
This comforting creamy tomato basil soup recipe is an adult version of tomato soup! This soup is next-level delicious and just as simple to make! These pantry staple ingredients are perfect for blending together and simmering making this a comforting meal!
- Wondra flour – Find this flour in a blue colored tube container that is in the baking aisle. It is used in soups to help dissolve quickly.
- Butter – Melt butter in a pan to create a roux with the flour that helps build a thick and robust soup.
- Chicken broth – Brings in more flavor as well as adds liquid to the soup.
- Tomatoes – Make it easy and add canned tomatoes to give the tomato soup its original flavor and texture from the diced tomatoes.
- Seasoning – Fresh basil and oregano add the extra flavor this soup needs!
- Parmesan cheese – Grated parmesan cheese is stirred into the soup giving each bite a melted stringy cheese.
- Half and half – This light creamer helps give the tomato basil soup the creamy texture it needs.
- Italian sausage – Take the ground sausage and roll it into small round balls to be sauteed. These sausages are hidden gems in tomato soup.
How to Make Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
In four easy steps, you will have the best tomato basil soup! Slowly melt, blend, and simmer all the ingredients together for a tomato-basil blend. It is homemade and so simple to make!
- Create a roux – Combine the butter and flour in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Gradually add the chicken broth letting the mixture thicken as you add more.
- Blend and simmer – In a blender add the two cans of tomatoes and the basil and oregano. Pulse it just a few times. Add this tomato mixture to the saucepan. Now let it all simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Cooking sausage – Meanwhile, shape the Italian sausage into small meatballs and thoroughly cook them in a frying pan, then move the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels and pat off excess grease.
- Whisk and stir – Turn the heat on the soup to low. Whisk in the parmesan cheese and half and half, then add the sausage and let it cook on low for about 5 more min, stirring occasionally.
“The soup is so amazing, I absolutely love it! Sometimes I leave the sausage out and sometimes I add it, either way, it’s delicious!”-Allyson
Tips for Making
- Immersion blender – If you have an immersion blender you can use that too instead of a blender.
- Extra creamy – Use heavy cream instead of half and half for an even more creamy base soup.
- Italian seasoning – Skip the individual seasonings and only use one with this Italian seasoning. It has all the favorite seasonings like oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
Frequently Asked Questions
Wondra flour is made from wheat and malted barley flour that are heated and then dried out. This is a process called pre-gelatinization. This helps the finely ground flour dissolve more quickly compared to all-purpose flour. It also mixes easily making stews or gravies thicker without clumping.
Comfort food usually means or is often characterized as high calorie, high carbohydrate, or something that is simple to prepare. Add protein and vegetables if needed too! Most of the time it is known to be warmed-up food or something that makes you feel good from the inside out. Add salt and pepper and have a delicious meal!
We love a good grilled cheese or a delicious bread or breadstick to dip in. Make it a soup and salad lunch or dinner meal.
How to Store Easy Tomato Basil Soup
Storing leftovers is a simple method and works well with this homemade tomato basil soup. The soup is simple to refrigerate or freeze. Whichever is best for you and your family!
- Refrigerate – Once cooled, pour the soup into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for three to four days.
- Reheat – When ready to reheat place it in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for one minute at a time until warmed through. If using the stove, place it on the stovetop at medium-low heat. This will help so the soup does not separate.
- Freeze – Store in a freezer bag for three months long. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the refrigerator overnight until it is soft then reheat on the stovetop.
More Soup for You
Since soup definitely falls into the comfort food category, you might want to keep a few more of these recipes on hand, next time you’re in need.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Sausage
- 1/2 cup wondra flour or regular flour, I just think the wondra flour mixes in better
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups chicken broth 1 large carton
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (2 cans)
- 1 Tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 pound italian sausage
- Combine the butter and flour in a large saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add the chicken broth letting the mixture thicken as you add more.
- In a blender add the two cans of tomatoes (don't drain) and the basil and oregano. Pulse it just a few times (you don't want the tomatoes totally blended). Add this tomato mixture to the saucepan. Now let it all simmer over medium heat for about 15 min.
- Meanwhile, shape the Italian sausage into small meatballs and thoroughly cook them in a frying pan, then move the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels and pat off excess grease.
- Turn the heat on the soup to low. Whisk in the parmesan cheese and half and half, then add the sausage and let it cook on low for about 5 more min, stirring occasionally.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
We loved this tomato soup! The addition of sausage is delicious!
The soup is so amazing, I absolutely love it! Sometimes I leave the sausage out and sometimes I add it, either way it’s delicious!
So glad you liked it! Glad it still works well even without the sausage. Thanks for sharing!
LOVE the sausage in this recipe. Also added a bag of frozen tortellini. SO GOOD.
The ultimate comfort food! Saving this recipe!
Surely the soup is not over 700 calories a bowl or is that for the whole pot
That is for the whole batch!
Oooh, saving this recipe for the chilly days coming!
The sausage in this is perfect! Such a classic but with a little something extra!
This soup is delicious .. I used instant mashed potato flakes as a thickner instead of flour.
This sounds absolutely delicious! My husband would love me even more if I made this 🙂 His favorite soup is tomato soup; will definitely give this one a try!