This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
These sweet and spicy chicken kabobs are a favorite for grilling! Sweet glaze with just the right amount of spicy kick over tender chicken and peppers, grilled to perfection!
Featured with this recipe
Summertime is the best time for these sweet and spicy chicken kabobs. When temperatures heat up, we tend to grill outside most nights of the week. These chicken kabobs are just what is needed for the grill this summer. It is full of flavor, texture, and a delicious combination!
These chicken kabobs are the perfect easy meal because they come together in no time! They’re perfect for a Memorial Day or 4th of July barbecue, or just any evening when you want a quick meal out on the grill. Serve with a side of rice and a simple green salad and you have a perfect dinner full of flavor and spice!
Sweet and Spicy Chicken Kabobs Ingredients
Layer each skewer with the best vegetables and fruit with chicken to make a delicious glaze brushed over top making this a sensational dinner! Take your grilling to the next level with these chicken thigh kabobs. They are tender and juicy and have the best flavor!
- Chicken – Take your chicken and evenly cut the chicken into one-inch cubes. Use either boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs.
- Smoked sausage – Slice the sausage to add to the skewers. These cook up quickly and add a delicious smoked flavor.
- Red bell pepper – Clean and cut the bell peppers into one-inch squares.
- Red onion – Slice the red onion about the same size as the bell peppers.
- Pineapple – Bring in some fruit to add a fruity flavor that is fresh and delicious! Fresh pineapple is chopped and cubed into triangles. Thick and easy pieces are easier to thread onto the skewer.
Three Ingredient Glaze
The glaze only has three ingredients! It is the perfect combination and everyone loves the flavors they each bring out separately and together. This glaze takes your skewers to the next level!
- Soy sauce – This is a salty and savory liquid that balances out the flavors.
- Sriracha Sauce – (I like to add a lot of Sriracha to mine but scale it way back for the kids’ skewers. Add the amount that is just right for you.
- Jam – Yes, jam! It is a naturally sweetened glaze with one of Smuckers’s Fruit and Honey Spreads. There is no extra sugar like in your typical barbecue sauce. I just love these spreads so much, I wanted to share them with all of you. We used the Triple Berry Fruit & Honey Spread for this but really, you can use ANY of their Fruit & Honey spreads and I promise you, they will ALL taste incredible.
How to Make Spicy Kabobs
These kabobs are full of flavor and have everything good to them! They are quick and easy to make and come together in minutes. Prepare each skewer with a mixture of fruit, veggies, and meat. Each skewer is individually prepared and grilled. Add the glaze to make this a tender and juicy skewer!
- Prepare – Alternate, in no specific order, chicken, sausage, peppers, onions, and pineapple on skewers This combination will make about 6 skewers.
- Grill – Brush with glaze and grill on medium-high heat, turning every 2-3 minutes. Brush each skewer with glaze. Do this until the chicken is cooked through.
Suggestions for Sweet and Spicy Chicken Kabobs
These sweet and spicy chicken kebabs are just what you need for your next night of grilling!
- Healthy – These berry Sriracha skewers are super healthy as is because of the low sugar content but you can make it even healthier by using chicken sausage as opposed to regular smoked sausage I have been doing this lately and I haven’t had any complaints from the fam.
- Skewers – Add pieces of green, yellow, and orange peppers, tomatoes, and just about any veggie you like onto the skewers. Fruit and vegetables grill up beautifully!
- Glaze – Brush extra glaze on the kabobs as you grill. Keep some of the glaze mixtures at the table for dipping.
“These kabobs were amazing! The sauce was perfect and overall so easy to make for a weeknight dinner.”-Emily
Frequently Asked Questions
Any type of salad, potatoes, and/or pasta salad is a delicious side dish to serve with these chicken skewers.
Chicken thighs are the best cut of meat for kabobs. They are more tender compared to chicken breasts. Chicken breasts can become dry when grilled.
Chicken kabobs are grilled skewers on the grill grates. Usually, kabobs have veggies, fruit, and meat that are layered on skewers. The protein is marinated prior to adding them to the skewers.
It is best to use an internal thermometer to make sure the meat is cooked to perfection. Place the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken. When the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, the chicken is ready to eat.
What to Serve with Grilled Skewers
If you are looking for some side dishes to go with these grilled skewers, we have LOTS of options!
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Chicken Kabobs
Sweet and Spicy Chicken Kabobs
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- Alternate (in no specific order) chicken, sausage, peppers, onions, and pineapple on skewers (makes about 6 skewers).
- Brush with glaze and grill on medium-high heat, turning every 2-3 minutes (brushing with glaze each turn) until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.