Madre’s Mushroom Rice is a staple at all our family gatherings. It is the perfect side dish – easy to make and everyone loves it!
Madre’s Mushroom Rice
Madre’s Mushroom Rice is one of my favorite side dishes. It is rich and savory with a little bit of crunch from the almonds. This recipe comes from my husband’s grandma Carol (lovingly called Madre by some folks in the family). She passed away last year and I love being able to make her recipes for my family as a way of remembering her. She loved to bring people together and she knew that good food was one of the best ways to do that. We love you Madre!
- Start by melting the butter in a large sauce pan. Add beef broth and water and bring to a boil. Add the rice, stir, and pour into a large casserole dish.
- A note about the rice: This recipe uses parboiled rice, which you should be able to find at most grocery stores. I’ve seen an Uncle Ben’s brand and a generic store brand. Parboiled rice is partially cooked, so it cooks in less time.
- Bake the rice at 300 degrees for 1 hour.
- Add the green onions, celery, mushrooms, and almonds.
- Stir to distribute the toppings evenly into the rice. Bake for another 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Main Dishes to Pair with Madre’s Mushroom Rice
Now that you’ve got your side dish picked out, you’re going to need a main dish to go with it! Try some of our favorites.
- Easy Crockpot Pork Chops
- Baked Lemon Chicken
- Baked Garlic Chicken
- Easy Chicken Roll Ups
- Paprika Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Other Side Dishes to Try
If you are in need of other side dish ideas, here are some of our favorites!
- Super Easy Yellow Rice
- Au Gratin Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Vegetable Medley
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
How to Make Madre’s Mushroom Rice
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add beef broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and stir. Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove casserole dish from the oven and stir the rice. Add mushrooms, celery, green onions, and almonds. Stir until toppings are evenly distributed throughout the rice.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve immediately.