This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Cauliflower is a quick and delicious side dish. It’s easy to make, and the cheesy flavor will keep your family begging for more.
Cheesy Cauliflower Side Dish
This Cheesy Cauliflower Side Dish is so GOOD! Growing up, my mom would make this all the time. Believe it or not, this one is a comfort food dish that we kids would all fight over. It’s a rare occasion for any child to clamor for more veggies, so my mom made sure to make this as often as possible. In fact, my mom would always have to make sure we had exactly equal portions because it would always get polished. We never ever had leftovers! I’m happy to say that the cheesy cauliflower casserole loving gene was passed down to my own children. Just like I learned from my own mom, I make sure that everyone gets equal portions.
This dish is really simple and easy to make. You likely have most of the ingredients at home already!
- Cauliflower – Wash and dry the cauliflower before steaming to clean off any dirt or debris. Remove all leaves and stems from the head of cauliflower.
- Miracle Whip – You can use mayonnaise, but since Miracle Whip is a little sweeter, you might need to add a tablespoon of sugar to get the same flavor.
- Mustard – You can use regular yellow mustard or dijon mustard depending on your preference.
- Cheese – Stick with medium or sharp cheddar cheeses. These will add the most flavor!
- Salt and Pepper – I usually stick with the basics when it comes to spices in this recipe, but paprika and garlic powder make great additions!
One reason I like to make this so often is because cauliflower has a ton of health benefits. It is low carb and keto-friendly. It is high in fiber and B-vitamins, and also has a good amount of choline, which can aid memory and learning in children (and adults!). This nutrient-dense veggie also has vitamin c, which is a must-have during the winter months or during cold and flu season. Additionally, this cheesy cauliflower is filled with protein from the cheese, along with antioxidants from the cauliflower. It’s a feel-good dish, all around.
Like I mentioned before, we almost never have leftovers. However, if you do, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
This delicious side dish goes great with chicken or steak. We have also served in on top of brown rice for an easy vegetarian meal!
More Vegetable Dishes:
Want more veggie dishes that you and your children will love? Try these family-approved vegetable dishes.
- The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- How to Cook Spaghetti Squash – Four Ways
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted potatoes with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
More Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Cheesy Cauliflower Side Dish
Cheesy Cauliflower Side Dish
- 1 head cauliflower
- ½ cup Miracle Whip
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheese I prefer sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped chives for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Chop cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Add ¼ inch of water to a large skillet and then add cauliflower, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 3 minutes. Remove cauliflower florets from skillet and drain.
- In a small bowl, combine Miracle Whip and mustard.
- Stir Miracle Whip mixture together with cauliflower until all the cauliflower is evenly coated with the mixture. Place cauliflower mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Top with shredded cheese, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chives if desired.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
Had this tonight! Absolutely delicious!!
I grew up on this. Except we kept the cauliflower whole and put some freeze dried onion in the mayo mustard mix.
I really liked this, but only one of my 5 kids liked it, so I guess I will have to just do it with melted cheese or a traditional cheese sauce, Bummer 🙁
Thanks for the recipe
That looks absolutely delicious. Pinned and can’t wait to try it!!
You can bake it in the oven in a casserole dish or you can do it in the microwave! Either way works! I have done it both ways.
Do you bake it in the oven to melt cheese?