This Classic Muddy Buddies recipe is crunchy and satisfying. Made with Chex Mix cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar, these bite-sized treats are always a hit!
The sweet, crunchy snack we call Muddy Buddies has many names. We’ve also called it puppy chow, monkey munch, and at Christmastime, reindeer chow. No matter what you call it, this is one of those sweet snacks that always hits the spot! It has all the elements of the perfect snack food: sweet, salty, crunchy and oh so tasty!
As much as I’d like to, I can’t claim this recipe as my own; I just used the recipe on the Chex cereal box. Why mess with perfection, right? You start with Chex cereal, cover it with a mixture of chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter and vanilla, then shake it up in some powdered sugar. This gives it the irresistible, powdery white coating.
Homemade vs. Store Bought Muddy Buddies
Not only is it way cheaper to make your own at home, homemade Muddy Buddies just tastes so much better! The store bought stuff can be stale, less flavorful, and just not as tasty. Additionally, when you make it at home, you can make a greater volume for much less cost. You’re also in control of the ingredients you add, making it fresher, and much tastier!
What Can I Add to Muddy Buddies?
If you are wanting to customize your Muddy Buddies, there are some delicious options to take this recipe to the next level! First, and easiest, is M&M’s. After the Muddy Buddies are cooled completely, mix in classic, peanut butter, or peanut M&M’s. You can also make a more seasonal treat by adding holiday colored or holiday flavored M&Ms. Other mix in options include nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, and other small candies like Reese’s Pieces.
Give the Gift of Muddy Buddies
I love making a big batch of this treat at home and sharing it with my kids (if they’re good) or neighbors as gifts. Plus it cannot be easier. From start to finish, this recipe takes ten minutes tops. You just can’t beat that! Plus you can change it up a million different ways, adding different flavorings, candies, just about anything you can imagine. Place them in a cellophane bag, tie it with a ribbon, and you’re good to go.
How to Make Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
- This classic recipe is so simple! First, start by melting the butter, creamy peanut butter and chocolate chips in the microwave and stir until velvety smooth. Add the vanilla extract and stir.
- Next, coat the cereal with the chocolate mixture by pouring it over the top and then stirring until all the cereal is covered. Then pour the Chex and the powdered sugar in a gallon sized Ziploc bag and shake to toss all the cereal with powdered sugar until fully coated.
- Then, spread the whole mixture out on waxed paper to allow it to cool. This usually takes about 15 minutes.
- Finally, store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. It’ll stay nice and fresh for two weeks, but truth be told, it rarely lasts that long in our house.
- You can also freeze it in airtight baggies for four to six months.
Muddy Buddies can be stored on the counter in an airtight container for a few days. However, if you want to keep them for longer, you can store them for a couple weeks in the fridge. Additionally, if you are looking for long term storage, Muddy Buddies can be kept in the freezer for 4 to 6 months.
If you do not cool the Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow completely after you pour the chocolate on, the fats from the chocolate can break down the cereal and make it soggy. Make sure to spread the entire mixture out in a single layer and cool completely.
Yes! You can substitute another nut butter or seed butter like almond butter or sun butter. You can also just use a little extra chocolate and butter.
Yes! The main ingredient in Muddy Buddies is Chex cereal, and Chex cereals are gluten-free. If your family is like ours, being aware of gluten-allergies when serving up snacks is a must. They are perfect for movie nights, game nights, and parties.
More Snackable Recipes
Sweet or savory, crunchy or chewy here are some of our favorite snackable recipes that satisfy any hunger craving!
- Sweet Chex Mix Recipe
- Almond Joy Chex Mix
- Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Christmas Crunch Popcorn Snack
- White Chocolate Popcorn
- The Best Chex Mix Recipe
- Measure cereal into large bowl and set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute. Stir the chocolate, then microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Then pour into 2-gallon resealable plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar to the bag, seal tightly, then shake until well coated. Spread the powder covered cereal out on waxed paper to cool.
- When completely cooled, serve or store in airtight container in the refrigerator.