This Classic Muddy Buddies recipe is crunchy and satisfying. Making it at home takes no time at all, and perfect for when chocolate cravings hit.
The sweet, crunchy snack we call Muddy Buddies has many names. We’ve also called it puppy chow, monkey munch, and at Christmastime, reindeer chow. No matter what you call it, this is one of those sweet snacks that always hits the spot! It has all the elements of the perfect snack food: sweet, salty, crunchy and oh so tasty!
As much as I’d like to, I can’t claim this recipe as my own; I just used the recipe on the Chex cereal box. Why mess with perfection, right? You start with Chex cereal, cover it with a mixture of chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter and vanilla, then shake it up in some powdered sugar. This gives it the irresistible, powdery white coating.
Homemade vs. Store Bought Muddy Buddies
Not only is it way cheaper to make your own at home, homemade Muddy Buddies just tastes so much better! The store bought stuff can be stale, less flavorful, and just not as tasty. When you make it at home, you can make a greater volume for much less cost, and you’re in control of the ingredients you add, making it fresher, and much tastier!
Give the Gift of Muddy Buddies
I love making a big batch of this treat at home and sharing it with my kids (if they’re good) or neighbors as gifts. Plus it cannot be easier. From start to finish, this recipe takes ten minutes tops. You just can’t beat that! Plus you can change it up a million different ways, adding different flavorings, candies, just about anything you can imagine. Place them in a cellophane bag, tie it with a ribbon, and you’re good to go.
Are Muddy Buddies Gluten-Free?
Yes! The main ingredient in Muddy Buddies is Chex cereal, and Chex cereals are gluten-free. If your family is like ours, being aware of gluten-allergies when serving up snacks is a must. They are perfect for movie nights, game nights, and parties.
Suggestions for Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
- This classic recipe is so simple! Start by melting the butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips in the microwave and stir until velvety smooth. Add the vanilla and stir.
- Next dump it all over the measured cereal and stir until it’s all covered. Then in a Ziploc bag, toss all the cereal with powdered sugar until totally coated. You cannot believe how easy it is to make!
- Spread the whole mixture out on waxed paper to allow it to cool.
- Add M&Ms, peanuts or raisins to make it more like a trail mix.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. It’ll stay nice and fresh for two weeks, but truth be told, it rarely lasts that long in our house.
- You can also freeze it in airtight baggies for four to six months.
More Snackable Chex Mix Recipes
Sweet or savory, crunchy or chewy here are some of our favorite snackable recipes that satisfy any hunger craving!
- Sweet Chex Mix Recipe
- Almond Joy Chex Mix
- Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Christmas Crunch Popcorn Snack
- White Chocolate Popcorn
- The Best Chex Mix Recipe
How to make Muddy Buddies
- Measure cereal into large bowl and set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute. Stir the chocolate, then microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Then pour into 2-gallon resealable plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar to the bag, seal tightly, then shake until well coated. Spread the powder covered cereal out on waxed paper to cool.
- When completely cooled, serve or store in airtight container in the refrigerator.