These no-bake Scotcharoos, also known as Oh Henry Bars, are a favorite treat. A Rice Krispie and peanut butter center is covered with a chocolate butterscotch topping.
These Scotcharoos are a one of my absolute favorite no-bake recipes! Perfect for when you need a peanut butter and chocolate fix! I love the chocolate and butterscotch mix that is spread over the top, it makes these so incredibly tasty! Seriously, can you ever go wrong when you combine peanut butter with chocolate? I say, no.
A Scotcharoo By Any Other Name
These bars actually have many different names depending on where you grew up. One of it’s most popular names is Scotcharoos. Another popular name is Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats. Some people in our family call them Oh Henry Bars because they taste just like the old candy bar that stores used to sell. Someone mentioned the other day that you can still order Oh Henry candy bars on Amazon! Whatever you call them, they are always an easy and yummy treat.
Are There Substitutions to Try?
While this recipe is amazing using the Rice Krispies, one reader said they have made a similar cookie using crushed up Special K cereal, which sounds like it may be worth a try. She suggested the Special K with chocolate chunks, which sounds like it might be amazing. There are other similar recipes using Cheerios, which gives a slightly different texture to the same basic idea. The white Karo syrup listed is the same as white corn syrup. Typically it is available in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
A Great Dessert with Any Meal
Scotcharoos make a great dessert with any meal. If you’re looking for a delicious precursor to this chocolate and peanut butter treat, check out these dinner ideas:
- Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Steak Salad with Blue Cheese and Avacados
- Meat and Cheese Tray
How to make Scotcharoos
- In a large sauce pan, bring sugar and syrup to a boil over medium high heat.
- Remove from heat and add peanut butter and rice krispies to the pan, gently stir until rice krispies are completely coated.
- Press mixture into a 9×13 pan lined with cooking spray.
- Melt together the butterscotch and chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave, stir every 30 seconds.
- Spread the melted chocolate butterscotch mix over the top of the rice krispies.
- Let the chocolate cool completely at room temperature before cutting into bars.