This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Shamrock Shake season is upon us! Our cool, minty shake is even creamier and more delicious than the fast food version and you can make it all year round!
What is a Shamrock Shake?
A Shamrock Shake is a delicious dessert served at McDonald’s for a limited time around St. Patrick’s Day. The official ingredients, courtesy of McDonald’s website, are vanilla soft serve, shamrock shake syrup, and whipped light cream. We are huge fans of this shake, but it gets pricey to buy for the whole family, so we figured out how to make them at home! This copycat recipe is easy, uses simple ingredients, and it also tastes just like the original, if not better!
Ingredients in a Homemade Shamrock Shake
- Vanilla Ice Cream – The quality of your Shamrock Shake will depend on the quality of your ice cream. Because of that, we like to use a super creamy vanilla ice cream as the base.
- Milk – Just a little bit of milk gives these shakes the perfect, smooth texture you can drink through a straw! Use whole milk for the best results.
- Mint Extract – It took a lot of trial and error to get just the right amount of mint flavoring. Too much can make it taste like toothpaste. Additionally, too little mint and the mint flavor gets lost in the vanilla. Trust us on the amounts of mint extract (see recipe card below).
- Green Food Coloring – Since you are only adding a little bit of food coloring, you can use liquid or gel food coloring. When I am baking cakes I like to use gel, but either is okay for this recipe.
- Optional Toppings – I like to top my Shamrock Shakes with whipped cream and also a maraschino cherry. You can also top them with chocolate sauce, Andes mints, Oreo cookie pieces, or green sprinkles!
Oreo Shamrock McFlurry
This year, McDonald’s came out with a new way to enjoy your Shamrock Shake – the Oreo Shamrock McFlurry! It has all the delicious taste of a Shamrock Shake, but blended with crushed Oreo cookies. I haven’t tried one yet, but they sound amazing. Both the Shamrock Shake and the Oreo Shamrock McFlurry came out at the end of February.
If you are counting calories, then we have a low calorie version as well. Make your Shamrock Shake with low-fat vanilla ice cream (we love Dreyer’s Slow Churned), fat-free milk, and a bit of real sugar. A McDonald’s small Shamrock Shake has 530 calories, and a large is 820 calories. With those changes, this recipe is 393 calories per serving.
More Irish Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day
If you’re looking to create an authentic Irish feast to celebrate the luck o’ the Irish this year, then try a few of these favorite recipes:
- The Donovan’s Irish Pasties
- Irish Soda Bread
- Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Corned Beef Sandwiches
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth in consistency.
- Pour into a tall glass and top with whipped cream and sprinkles, a chocolate mint, or a maraschino cherry.