These cookie bars with a Caribbean twist have a coconut fudge flavor that can’t be beat! A soft oatmeal cookie crust with chocolate fudge and gooey coconut topping will make for an instant favorite!
This recipe comes from our sister, Elise, who just got back from a week in the Caribbean (uh… jealous!) She had these yummy cookie bars in a little coffee shop while visiting Caneel Bay on St. John’s. She loved these so much, she came home and duplicated the recipe (and was nice enough to share).
These bars are delicious! I love the layer of the oatmeal cookie crust combined with the fudge and chewy coconut. I can see why it is so popular in the Caribbean.
Make These Cookie Bars for a Potluck
Each time we have made these, they are devoured within minutes. Seriously. We took them to a potluck and I kid you not, they were the first things cleared from the table. They are so decadent, yet easy to make.
Fair warning, make sure to have the recipe ready to pass out. You will have everyone begging you for instructions to make these cookie bars.
The other reason I like making these cookie bars for parties is that you can cut them into servings as big or as small as you need to make sure everyone gets a treat.
Plus, these bars can be made extra festive for holidays. You can add chocolate eggs (like Cadbury mini eggs) to the top to make these into a fun Easter treat, or red and green sprinkles for Christmas.
These bars are also easy to make ahead. Just bake and then cut them into servings a day or two in advance, and store them in an air-tight container. I actually like them best after they have been refrigerated for a little while. We have cut them into servings and put them in a cooler to take on picnics– SUCH a good picnic treat.
More Bars to Try
If you love these Cookie Bars, you are sure to love these other recipes too:
- Cream Cheese Lemon Bars: Cream cheese lemon bars are ALWAYS a crowd favorite. They are tangy, sweet, soft, chewy, and perfectly delicious!
- Oatmeal Raspberry Crumb Bars: Perfect for dessert nights, BBQs, potlucks, parties and everything in between.
- Coconut Lime Cheesecake Bars: Another great “island” flavor. These have a bright, tangy, Caribbean flavor with just the right amount of coconut. Like a mix between coconut cream pie and key lime pie. So good!
- ALL our Cookie and Bars recipes: We have DOZENS of great cookie and bar recipes… try them all!
How to Make Coconut Fudge Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Add melted butter and press down evenly into a 9x13 glass baking dish. Bake at 350-degrees for 8 minutes. Cool slightly (just warm).
- Combine fudge ingredients in a medium-sized sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until just melted and thick. Pour fudge over oat crust and allow to cool completely.
- Place coconut in a food processor or blender and pluse 1-2 times until coarsely chopped. Combine coconut and sweetened condensed milk and gently spread evenly on top of the fudge.
- Cool and serve.
- 9x13 inch pan