These 7 Layer Bars are always a hit! The coconut, milk chocolate chips, and pecans caramelize while it bakes. A quick and easy delicious dessert.
7 Layer Bars
These 7 Layer Bars, aka “Magic Cookie Bars” are ridiculously easy – thus the name “magic”. Perfect for when you want cookies or a baked treat but you don’t want to be measuring out a bunch of ingredients. You can totally eyeball the ingredients and be totally fine. I will be honest, most of the time I don’t even measure! Just layer the ingredients in the pan and it turns out great every time. Easiest layer cookie bars ever!
Ingredients in 7 Layer Bars
Chances are, you have all the ingredients for these layer magic bars in your kitchen right now. We always try to have these pantry staples on hand for when the sweet tooth strikes. Just seven ingredients for seven layers:
- Graham crackers – you’ll use graham cracker crumbs or crushed graham crackers for the crust. Use a food processor or rolling pin to get a fine crumb texture.
- Butter – melt butter in a microwave safe bowl, then add to the graham cracker crumbs. We like using unsalted butter to control the sodium that goes into the cookies.
- Chocolate chips – We use semi-sweet chocolate chips most often, but milk chocolate or white chocolate chips would taste delicious too.
- Butterscotch chips – swap out for peanut butter chips if you like that flavor better.
- Shredded coconut – You can use sweetened or unsweetened coconut.
- Pecans – chop by hand or in a food processor
- Sweetened condensed milk – one 14 ounce can is perfect.
Additions and Substitutions
These seven layer bars are so easy to customize to your taste. My husband isn’t the biggest fan of butterscotch so most of the time we will use peanut butter chips instead (which is an awesome substitution). Turn 7 layer magic bars into “monster” bars by adding crushed pretzels, oats and/or M&Ms. Sprinkle some flaky sea salt on top for a more gourmet taste. The pecans can easily be switched out for walnuts, mixed nuts or almonds. Or they can be left out altogether if you aren’t a nut person.
Gluten Free Bars
These can easily be made gluten free! You can find Schar brand Graham crackers at your local grocery store or online. One box will give you the EXACT amount of graham crackers you will need to make this recipe. These are our FAVORITE kind of gf graham crackers. They don’t taste weird at all. In fact, last time we made these we did a batch of gluten free and a batch of regular bars and most people liked the gluten free ones the best (we did some blind taste testing out of curiosity). The graham crackers are the only substitution you will need to make. Everything else should be naturally gluten free!
How to Serve and Store 7 Layer Bars
It is best to serve these after they have cooled completely. The bars are easier to cut when they have a chance to set up at room temperature. Use a good non-stick cooking spray on your 9×13 inch baking pan to make sure they come out easily. If you try pulling them out of the pan while they are still hot, they will fall apart. HOWEVER, I must say I do like to serve them warm when I am serving with ice cream. I have spooned it out of the pan and put over ice cream and let me tell you, it is awesome. It is like a delicious crumbly topping that reminds me of a chocolate-y, coconut-ty, cobbler. Or wait until they’re cooled, then cut them on a cutting board into squares.
Store leftover bars in an airtight container in between layers of parchment paper to avoid sticking. They can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer for several weeks.
More Delicious Bar Cookie Recipes
Bar cookies are easy to make and serve a crowd! Try some of these other tasty bar treats at your next picnic or family reunion.
- Firecracker Sugar Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Bars
- Coconut Lime Cheesecake Bars
- Lemon Cream Cheese Bars
- German Chocolate Cookie Bars
- Coconut Pecan Nanaimo Bars
7 Layer Bars
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Combine butter and graham crackers together in a bowl.
- Press evenly into a 9×13 glass baking dish, forming a crust.
- Evenly layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, and pecans over the graham cracker crust.
- Slowly pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes of until edges being to brown.
- Allow to cool COMPLETELY before serving (see notes above).