This Blueberry Jello Salad recipe is a fun variation from the original Jello salad. It’s the perfect side for picnics, parties, and barbecues.
Blueberry Jello Salad
This Blueberry Jello Salad recipe is the perfect recipe to branch out from the traditional, plain Jello salad. The rich, fresh flavors make it the perfect side dish or dessert to take to picnics, parties, barbecues or even Easter dinner. We use pineapple because it gives the jello layer more fruity texture. But if you don’t like the thicker texture, just omit the pineapple and it is still delicious! Some have argued that this is more of a dessert than a salad. I’m not exactly sure why these types of dishes are called “salads”. In all honesty, I think it is more of a side dish or like many of you, closer to a dessert than a salad, but historically it called a Jello salad so we are just going with it. No matter what you call it, it is a great picnic addition!
Substitutes or Additions to this Jello Salad
The beauty of Jello salad is you can change up the ingredients any way you like! I love the fresh sweet taste of the blueberries topped with the thick, fluffy cheesecake-like top layer of this salad. But here are some ideas to switch it up:
- You can substitute the blueberries with other fruits like bananas, strawberries or raspberries.
- If you don’t want a top layer or you have someone in the family with lactose intolerance, you can just serve it plain without the topping and it will still be great.
- We have had people ask us if they can use different flavors of Jello besides blackberry. Of course! Try blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, lemon or whatever you like or have on hand. Any flavor will taste great, but you might not get the color you’re looking for. We like using blackberry because it gives the Jello a nice, deep, true blueberry color.
- We have also been asked about using fresh blueberries instead of canned pie filling. You can use fresh, you just won’t have as full of a flavor. You can also use other kinds of pie fillings, but by that point you may not have “blueberry” Jello salad anymore.
Perfect for Party Time
This is the perfect make-ahead recipe. You can easily make this a day ahead of your picnic or party. Just cover and refrigerate. If you’re heading to a party, you will be a big hit with this yummy salad. Here are a few other sides you can try the next time you’re planning to attend a potluck.
- Picnic Cake
- The BEST Potato Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- 4th of July Cake
- Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad
- Authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
How to make Blueberry Jello Salad
- 2 c. water boiling
- 6 oz blackberry Jello
- 16 oz crushed pineapple drained
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- In a large bowl combine Jello and boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Mix in pineapple and pie filling. Pour into 9×13 inch pan and refrigerate about 2 hours until firm.
- Topping: Mix cream cheese and sugar together well. Stir in Cool Whip.
- Spread topping over set Jello. Refrigerate at least half an hour before serving. Top with fresh blueberries if desired.
- 9×13 inch pan