CrockPot Breakfast Casserole is perfect for holiday and busy mornings. Tender potatoes, fluffy eggs, and savory sausage cook up overnight in the slow cooker, so you can wake up to a delicious, healthy breakfast!
Overnight CrockPot Breakfast Casserole
This crock pot breakfast casserole is my go-to when I have company staying at my home. I don’t want my guests to miss out on the most important meal of the day! The eggs cook up light and fluffy all around the ingredients, so it’s basically a giant omelette once it’s all baked. This breakfast casserole is so easy to whip up the night before and then let the slow cooker do the work while we all sleep. Then guests are greeted to fragrant breakfast smells first thing in the morning and you get all the credit for serving a delicious breakfast. It’s so great for Christmas Eve, busy Sunday mornings or anytime you want a big family breakfast but don’t want all the fuss.
How Long to Cook this Breakfast Casserole
If your crockpot cooks hot or if you have an oval one (like the one pictured above) it may only take six hours on low. A smaller, round crockpot may take the full 8 hours to cook through the center. So, you may have to stay up a little late the night before to start the cooking process. But if you’re like me, it’s way easier to stay up late and visit with company than it is to wake up early and make a big breakfast. To make clean up even easier try using a crockpot/slow cooker liner! I love these liners from Amazon.
Variations on the Recipe – More Ingredients to Try
Our recipe for CrockPot Breakfast Casserole is a very flavorful with the simple ingredients we use. We love it this way, but we have also tried some variations depending on what we are in the mood for and what we have on hand.
- Potatoes: I love using the Potatoes O’Brien because they are already chopped and they come with red and green bell peppers. This just speeds up the process for me and makes this recipe even easier. However, you can really use any frozen hash brown variation. You can even use fresh grated potatoes, but the casserole will cook up a lot quicker with fresh as opposed to frozen.
- Meat: I like using sausage links because it is what my family prefers, but you can use any breakfast meat you have on hand! It just needs to be cooked first. Feel free to use sausage, bacon, turkey bacon, or ham. If meat isn’t your thing, you can use meat substitutes, or no meat at all!
- Veggies: If you’ve got it in the fridge, it can go in this recipe (almost, haha). We’ve used peppers, onions, green onions, mushrooms, spinach, kale, green chiles, zucchini, tomatoes, and asparagus, just to name a few. If you can find it on a omelette bar, chances are it will taste delicious in this recipe!
- Cheese: Cheddar is an obvious breakfast choice, but you can change it up! Any cheese that melts well will work. We’ve used Swiss, mozzarella, pepper jack, Monterey jack, and Colby jack before. They’ve all been great!
- Toppings: Everyone in my family likes topping this casserole with something different. We’ve tried ketchup, sour cream and salsa, sriracha, avocado, chives, cheese, and Tobasco, just to name a few. Whatever you top this with, we know you will love it!
Still looking for ideas to make this casserole your own? Try some of our most popular combinations.
- Denver Style: Cubed ham, green peppers, onion, and cheddar cheese
- California Style: Bacon, tomatoes, peppers, onion, topped with lots and lots of avocado
- Meat Lovers: Bacon, sausage, and ham
- Mushroom and Swiss: Spinach, mushrooms, Swiss cheese
- Garden Delight: Peppers, onions, tomatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, spinach
- Italian: Pancetta, red bell peppers, mozzarella
- Southwest: Green chiles, jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, top with avocado, salsa, and sour cream
What to Serve with CrockPot Breakfast Casserole
This casserole is a terrific all-in-one dish, so you could serve it alone with some toppings and a side of fruit. For a big breakfast or brunch, you can also pair it with our Make Ahead Breakfast Parfaits, our rich Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake or a batch of the BEST Blueberry Muffins.
More Breakfast Recipes You Will Love
Try a few more of our favorite recipes for your next breakfast or brunch. Check out our list of 25+ Breakfast Ideas or see some of our favorites below!
- Easy Breakfast Casserole
- California Breakfast Casserole
- Yogurt Pancakes with Homemade Syrup
- Breakfast Monte Cristos
- Best Breakfast Burritos
- Easy Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
How to Make CrockPot Breakfast Casserole
- Brown sausage links in a large skillet until cooked through and cut into pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Add salt and pepper.
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray and layer the cut up sausage, potatoes o'brien, tomato, and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Stir everything together.
- Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours. The oval crock pots like the one shown may cook faster than the typical round crock pots. Try to aim for the 6 hour mark if using one like this.
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker