This coffee cake recipe filled with burst-in-your-mouth blueberries is perfect for Sunday brunch. The coffee cake is swirled with sweet cream cheese and fresh blueberries then finished with a sugary crumb topping.
This Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe is a new favorite – it is absolutely amazing! I made it for a family brunch, and to my dismay it was totally gone before I could go back and get seconds! If this recipe has one downfall, it’s that one piece of coffee cake is definitely not enough. You will definitely want a second slice.
Whenever blueberries go on sale, I stock up with the intention of making this coffee cake. Not only is it simple to make, but it smells absolutely amazing while baking. It’s better than any candle I own!
Coffee Cake Texture
It’s hard to describe the perfect coffee cake, but I’ll do my best. While you are making this recipe, the batter will seem pretty thick. Don’t worry, that is how it is supposed to be. When it bakes up it always ends up perfect.
Once it is baked, this coffee cake is super moist and delicious, and you are going to love the bursts of flavor with the cream cheese swirls and fresh blueberries. This is great for breakfast when you have company or when you get together for brunch with friends. Or when you just want to eat blueberry coffee cake!
How to Freeze Coffee Cake
This makes a 9×13 pan size of coffee cake which is great for brunch or a baby shower or bridal shower. If you want to make a batch to eat now and freeze some for later, it’s very simple to freeze.
Simply cook the recipe as directed in the recipe card below, let it cool, and then wrap individual slices of the coffee cake in plastic wrap. Put all the pieces in a resealable freezer bag. Then, just pull out a piece and set it on the counter for about an hour. Unwrap and enjoy! If you want it warm, you can put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
More Coffee Cake Recipes
I have to admit, this Blueberry Coffee Cake is one of my all-time favorite coffee cakes! Although I think it is a pretty close tie with our Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Coffee Cake. Both are so good, you can’t go wrong! It works out fine because I can make the Pumpkin Coffee Cake during Fall and the Blueberry Coffee Cake in the spring. 🙂 And you definitely want to try our Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake during the Holidays. Although when I am looking for a quick and easy coffee cake recipe, I love to whip up our Cake Mix Coffee Cake. And when I am in the mood for a coffee cake type dessert, I love our Cinnamon Swirl Cake with yummy frosting on top!
How to make Blueberry Coffee Cake
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 9×13 inch pan
For The Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a glass 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
For The Batter:
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs and sour cream. Add the baking powder and salt and mix a little more. Add the flour a little at a time until completely mixed in. Last, gently fold in the fresh blueberries.
For The Filling:
- Beat together the cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
For the Crumb Topping:
- Mix the sugar, flour, and butter with a pastry blender (or fork) until crumbly.
Putting it Together:
- Spread half the batter into the bottom of the 9×13 pan. Next, spread the cream cheese filling over the top. Then with the remaining batter, place spoonfulls all over the filling (try to spread them out evenly). Last, sprinkle the crumb topping over everything. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Let the cake cool for before serving.