This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Easy Fruit Pizza is a must try this summer! Sugar cookie crust, cream cheese, and fresh fruit – what could possibly be better? See recipe for our 3 favorite topping ideas – fresh summer fruits (as pictured), tropical fruits, and caramel apple.
What is Fruit Pizza?
This Fruit Pizza Recipe is a dessert pizza made with a sugar cookie crust, a cream cheese frosting layer, and fresh fruit toppings. The sugar cookie crust can be homemade or store bought. Any kind of fresh fruit can be used to design the top of the pizza. The pizza can be sliced like a regular pizza or cut in smaller squares for serving.
My first experience with “fruit pizza” was at a Pampered Chef party years ago. I loved it! It is an especially yummy treat in the summer when the best fruits are easily available from your own garden or fruit and vegetable stands. We live in an area where there are delicious fresh peaches available in the late summer. I could make a whole fruit pizza with just fresh peaches and it would be the best fruit pizza and it would disappear in seconds.
Fruit Pizza Toppings
Having said that, I do have my favorite fruits that I love to display on this pizza. I prefer a variety of fresh berries, kiwi fruit, and fresh peaches. When fresh summer fruits are hard to come by, I have found there are also fresh fruits available year round and even some canned fruits that work great. Check out the recipe for three ideas for topping the pizza depending on the season and fruits that are available.
Fresh Fruit Ideas
- Kiwi fruit
- Mango chunks
Canned Fruit Ideas
With canned fruits, you have to be careful with the water content. Drain the fruit in a strainer and place it on a paper towel. Use another paper towel to pat the fruit dry as much as possible before adding it to the pizza. You can also put the fruit in the refrigerator to allow it to chill while the crust cools. For the best results, add canned fruit to the pizza just before serving it.
- Mandarin oranges
- Pineapple chunks
- Peach slices
- Diced mango
- Cherries (pitted)
- My favorite part of making this recipe is decorating the top! There are so many fun ideas out there on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram for how to decorate a fruit pizza. You can do it the way we did it in this picture, or just google “fruit pizza” on Google images and go nuts!
- Peaches, strawberries, apple slices, pear slices, and mandarin oranges are perfect for flower leaves. It’s fun looking at all the different designs out there.
- Roll the cookie dough into a rectangle and bake it in the shape of a flag for the fourth of July. Decorate with blueberries and strawberries for the stars and stripes!
- Make a sunrise by rolling on a 14-inch pizza pan and using fresh pineapple, oranges, and strawberries. Garnish with some simple lemon zest.
The Cookie Pizza Dough
The Pampered Chef recipe calls for store bought refrigerated sugar cookie dough. It definitely saves some time doing it this way, but, if I have time, I prefer homemade cookie dough. This cookie dough recipe mixes together quickly in a medium bowl with an electric mixer or a stand mixer and gives a thicker, softer crust to the fruit pizza. The texture makes it easier to hold on to when eating by hand. Bake on a pizza pan using parchment paper or sprinkle with all purpose flour so it doesn’t stick. You can use this sugar cookie recipe or one of your own. If you have leftovers (which is highly unlikely!), be sure to keep the extra Easy Fruit Pizza in the refrigerator.
More Fresh Fruit Recipes
- Easy Phyllo Fruit Cups – These Easy Phyllo Fruit Cups only take about 15 minute to make. A light dessert idea that is simple enough for kids and fancy enough for party guests.
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Key Lime Yogurt Dip – Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Key Lime Yogurt Dip are a win at any BBQ. The grill really enhances the flavor of pineapples, bananas, strawberries, and melons.
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon and Sugar Chips – This fruit salsa is so addicting and delicious. The chips are baked so that makes it a little healthier, right?
- Easy Fruit Dip – This Easy Fruit Dip has only 4 ingredients and takes just a few minutes to whip together. It is smooth and creamy with a hint of citrus. It complements the flavor of every kind of fruit.
How to Make Fruit Pizza
Easy Fruit Pizza
Sugar Cookie Pizza Crust
#2 Tropical Fruit Topping
For Sugar Cookie Pizza Crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. For crust, cream butter and sugars together. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients. Form dough into a large ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- With a rolling pin, roll dough out in a large circle and gently place on a pizza pan or stone sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or greased. You can also use your hands to press the dough evenly on the pizza pan or stone. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Pull out of the oven when the edges and top start to lightly brown. Let cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth. If you want a sweeter frosting, you can add more powdered sugar.
- Spread on cooled sugar cookie crust.
For Fruit Toppings
- Fresh Fruit Topping (as pictured): Wash and slice fruit and decorate away!Tropical Fruit Pizza: If using canned fruits, drain well and pat dry with a paper towel. Add fruit and sliced banana to prepared and frosted pizza just before serving. I like to start in the center with a layer of fruit and work my way out. Sprinkle with coconut flakes.Caramel Apple Pizza: Slice apples into thin slices, and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle one 2 teaspoons of lemon juice over apples and toss until they are covered. This will prevent browning. Add slices to pizza in a design of your choice. One idea is to start in the middle fanning apple slices out into a circle from the center, with red apple skins all facing the direction. Fan the green apple slices out for the next layer, again with the skins all facing the same direction. Drizzle caramel topping over apples.
- Prep time does not include the one hour it takes to refrigerate cookie dough.
- To save time, you can use store bought refrigerated sugar cookie dough.