What is Fruit Pizza?
Fruit Pizza is a dessert pizza made with a sugar cookie crust, a cream cheese frosting layer, and fresh fruit toppings. The sugar cookie fruit pizza crust can be homemade or store bought. Any kind of fresh fruit can be used to design the top of the pizza. Fruit Pizza can be sliced like a regular pizza or cut in smaller squares for serving.
My first experience with “fruit pizza” was at a Pampered Chef party years ago. I loved it! It is an especially yummy treat in the summer when fresh fruit is easily available from your own garden or fruit and vegetable stands. We live in an area where there are delicious fresh peaches available in the late summer. I could make a whole fruit pizza with just fresh peaches and it would disappear in seconds. In the fall and winter when berries and peaches are harder to come by, the pizza is also good with bananas and apples with some caramel drizzled over the top. With the sugar cookie and cream cheese base, you really can’t go wrong – use whatever fruit and toppings you like!
Fruit Pizza Designs
My favorite part of making this fruit pizza recipe is decorating the top! There are so many fun ideas out there for how to decorate a fruit pizza. You can do it the way we did it in this picture, or just google “fruit pizza” on Google Images and go nuts! Peaches and strawberries are perfect for flower leaves. It’s fun looking at all the different designs out there. Be creative!
The Cookie Pizza Dough
The Pampered Chef recipe calls for store bought refrigerated sugar cookie dough. It definitely saves some time doing it this way, but, if I have time, I prefer homemade cookie dough. This cookie dough recipe gives a thicker, softer crust to the fruit pizza and makes it easier to hold on to when eating by hand. You can use this sugar cookie recipe or one of your own. If you have leftovers (which is highly unlikely!), be sure to keep the extra Easy Fruit Pizza in the refrigerator. If you like this pizza, you can also try our Easy Low-Fat Veggie Squares.
How to Make Fruit Pizza
Sugar cookie crust, cream cheese, and fresh fruit - what could possibly be better? This Easy Fruit Pizza is a must try this summer!
- For crust, cream butter and sugars together.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Form dough into a large ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
With a rolling pin, roll dough out in a large circle and gently place on a pizza pan or stone sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or greased. You can also use your hands to press the dough evenly on the pizza pan or stone.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Pull out of the oven when the edges and top start to lightly brown.
- Let cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth. If you want a sweeter frosting, you can add more powdered sugar.
- Spread on cooled sugar cookie crust
- Wash and slice fruit and decorate away!
- Prep time does not include the one hour it takes to refrigerate cookie dough.
- To save time, you can use store bought refrigerated sugar cookie dough.
More Fresh Fruit Recipes
- Easy Phyllo Fruit Cups – These Easy Phyllo Fruit Cups only take about 15 minute to make. A light dessert idea that is simple enough for kids and fancy enough for party guests.
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Key Lime Yogurt Dip – Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Key Lime Yogurt Dip are a win at any BBQ. The grill really enhances the flavor of pineapples, bananas, strawberries, and melons.
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon and Sugar Chips – This fruit salsa is so addicting and delicious. The chips are baked so that makes it a little healthier, right?
- Easy Fruit Dip – This Easy Fruit Dip has only 4 ingredients and takes just a few minutes to whip together. It is smooth and creamy with a hint of citrus. It complements the flavor of every kind of fruit.