Microwave Baked Apples are a quick and easy dessert or snack. They are like little mini apple pies with the added bonus of being ready in about 10 minutes.
Microwave Baked Apples are best when starting with a large crisp apple and ending with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream on top. I left the ice cream/whipped cream topping out of the photo so you could see the delicious filling on the top of these baked apples.
Some people prefer to peel the apple for baking, but I like leaving the apple skin on. It helps the apple hold its shape while baking and while eating. For this recipe I used Fuji apples from Stemilt Growers in Washington State. My family and I love their apples. They are the sweetest and most crisp apples I’ve ever had. Would you agree that the crunch that happens when biting into an apple is very important to the apple eating experience? Me too! I like my apples firm, juicy, and crisp.
Stemilt apples do not disappoint. I also like their Lil Snappers that come in the resealable bags. They are the perfect size for my boys to put in their lunch sacks for school. They also grow beautiful pears.
- Cut each apple in half lengthwise.
- Carefully cut out the core of each apple half using a knife or spoon leaving a 2 Tbsp size cavity . Place apples on a microwaveable plate, cut side up.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, oats, and cranberries.
- Evenly fill each apple with the mixture.
- Sprinkle each apple with cinnamon.
- Place apples in microwave with a microwave cover (or cover apples with microwaveable plastic wrap with one edge open to vent steam).
- Microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes. Apples should be cooked and tender.
- Spoon excess liquid on plat back onto the apples.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.