This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
One pan of chicken and veggies is an easy meal for those busy nights. A Caprese-style chicken with herb-roasted potatoes and broccoli all on one sheet pan!
Featured with this recipe
This one-pan chicken and veggies meal is just what you need on a busy weeknight! Skip baking cookies for one night and make this delicious and flavorful dinner on a cookie sheet. It is easy to layer the chicken and add vegetables around it making this an unforgettable Italian-style meal!
You can have a fancy Italian-style dinner on the table in about 40 minutes with this easy one-pan chicken and veggies. The clean up after the meal is easy because the whole meal is all cooked on one sheet pan. Oh, and did I mention the flavor is incredible? Dinner couldn’t be easier or more delicious!
One Pan Chicken and Veggies Italian Style Ingredients
Sheet pan dinner is a simple process that everyone loves! This Italian-style chicken and veggies are extra special with the marinade that gives flavor and tenderness to the chicken. Then bake the veggies and enjoy a delicious family dinner in less than an hour!
- Chicken breasts – Boneless skinless chicken breasts are sliced and evenly pounded to make the chicken cook at the same time.
- Potatoes – Slice the potatoes ahead of time into evenly cut wedges. The smaller the better to help with the cooking time.
- Broccoli – Cut the broccoli florets and add them directly to the pan. Fresh is best and not frozen.
- HemisFares 100% Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Once you try this oil, your taste buds will be thanking you!
- Mozzarella cheese – For the Mozzarella cheese, be sure to get REAL Mozzarella cheese. Real Mozzarella comes in a ball, not a block. It melts like a DREAM and tastes SO good, especially on this chicken.
- Tomatoes – Slice a large tomato to add over the top of the chicken. A thick slice is best for baking because it won’t wilt or burn while baking in the oven.
- Balsamic vinegar – When choosing a balsamic vinegar to pair with this dish, be sure to pick a quality aged balsamic or balsamic reduction.
- Fresh basil – Garnish the top of the dinner with fresh basil.
Whisk together the marinade ingredients creating a rich and savory liquid that coats the chicken making it tender and juicy when baking. This sheet pan chicken thrives on this marinade as being the key component making this one of the best pan dinners!
- HemisFares 100% Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This type of oil is a MUST try! It is delicious and has a unique flavor all on its own.
- Red wine vinegar – Has a zesty and tangy approach to this marinade. It also is known to help tenderize and break down the chicken giving it a juicy flavor.
- Garlic – Every Italian recipe needs some garlic added to it! Enjoy this extra flavor in the marinade.
- Seasoning – Oregano, thyme, and basil are blended together for that classic Italian taste.
- Sugar – Adds sweetness to the marinade and balances out the flavors.
- Red pepper flakes – A little heat to add in to the chicken dinner.
How to Make Chicken and Veggies on Sheet Pan
Making chicken and veggies sheet pan is a simple process that comes together quickly and easily. It is simple to make but it does take a few extra steps in the baking process. This will help ensure that each ingredient is baked properly and to the fullest without being overcooked or burnt in the process.
- Marinate – Whisk marinade ingredients together until well combined. Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag and pour ¾ cup of the marinade over the chicken. Set aside the remaining marinade. Press air out of the bag, seal tightly, and marinate.
- Assemble – Remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade. Place chicken down the center of the pan in a line. Toss diced potatoes in the remaining marinade. Place potatoes evenly down one side of the pan. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Bake – After the chicken and potatoes have been baked for about 20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and add broccoli to the pan.
- Add oil – Drizzle about 2 tablespoons HemisFares olive oil over the broccoli and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Melt – Top chicken with mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Sprinkling a little salt and pepper over the tomatoes and place the pan back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve – Remove pan from oven. Top with balsamic vinegar and fresh basil.
HemisFares 100% Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
This olive oil is as pure as they come! The olives in the HemisFares olive oil are actually GROWN in Italy (and have been for over 100 years). They are pressed within 8 hours of being picked, which helps them keep their full, rich flavor.
Trust me, you will be able to taste the difference and once you try the HemisFares Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil you will never go back to whatever you were using before. You will actually be able to appreciate a GOOD olive oil for what it SHOULD be.
Tips and Variations
This recipe is SO versatile! Add vegetables to your liking, tomatoes are always a favorite and sprinkle with cheese. Make this just the way you like it and know that there are no modifications since it is already GF!
- Chicken – Make it with chicken thighs next time! This is also another tender and juicy meat that can be baked on a sheet pan.
- Vegetables – Try it with zucchini, green beans, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, or even just extra potatoes.
- Tomatoes – It is even wonderful with sliced cherry tomatoes. You can roast the tomatoes and then spoon them over the chicken.
- Cheese – Try sprinkling a little parmesan cheese over the potatoes and/or broccoli too!
- Gluten-free – This one-pan chicken and veggies is a naturally gluten-free meal. No adjustments are necessary. It is perfectly gluten-free just the way it is.
For the Balsamic Vinegar
Many balsamic kinds of vinegar claim to be aged and quality. However, if you are paying less than $20 for a bottle off the shelf, chances are it is not going to be that great. If you can’t find any or don’t have any on hand, you can make your own reduction.
Combine one cup of balsamic vinegar (your typical store-bought shelf kind) and three tablespoons of packed brown sugar. Bring to a simmer in a medium saucepan for about 15 minutes or until it becomes syrupy and can coat a spoon. Be sure to open some windows and turn on a fan because the smell will be really strong!
“I love one-pan recipes and this one is definitely a winner! I substituted Brussels sprouts for the broccoli- yum!”-Christa
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, and we do! This one pan has both chicken and veggies cooking together making this an easy meal that actually looks fancy! It is a quick meal that roasts the chicken and vegetables all at once giving the dinner a colorful, flavorful, and delicious meal in every bite!
Vegetables are always a MUST with chicken! This one pan has all the veggies for you but you can always pair it with a nice salad or even soup depending on the time of year.
Using an internal temperature, the chicken needs to reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the thickest part of the chicken. Try not to overcook the chicken or it will become rubbery and hard to chew.
***This post is sponsored by our friends at HemisFares but recipes and opinions are all our own.***
One Pan Chicken and Veggies Italian Style
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs (see notes above)
- 3/4 cup marinade (see below)
- 4 red potatoes washed, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons HemisFares 100% Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil or to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (see notes above)
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar to taste (see notes above)
- fresh basil rolled and chopped
For the Marinade:
- 1 cup HemisFares 100% Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Basil
- 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Whisk marinade ingredients together until well combined.
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag and pour ¾ cup of the marinade over the chicken. Set aside remaining marinade.
- Press air out of the bag, seal tightly, and marinate at least 15 minutes (ideally 6-8 hours).
- Preheat oven to 475-degrees.
- Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.
- Place chicken down the center of the pan in a line (as pictured above)
- Toss diced potatoes in remaining marinade.
- Place potatoes evenly down one side of the pan.
- Place in oven and bake 20 minutes.
- After chicken and potatoes have baked for about 20 minutes, remove pan from oven and add broccoli to pan.
- Drizzle about 2 Tbsp HemisFares olive oil over the broccoli and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top chicken with mozzarella cheese and tomatoes (sprinkling a little salt and pepper over the tomatoes) and place pan back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Top with balsamic vinegar and fresh basil. Serve.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.