These Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy on the inside with a thin, crispy outer layer. Raisins, peanut butter chips, and butterscotch chips can be substituted for the chocolate chips or added in addition.
These Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are definitely the most made cookies in our house! They are so chewy and yummy! When I was in high school we used to eat a lot of our lunches at the Shipp’s home, the home of one of my closest friends. My friend’s mom would make the best food for us but it was always a special treat when we would get these oatmeal cookies. They were kind enough to share the recipe with me and it is now a favorite in our family. My husband makes these all the time!
How to Make Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Blend shortening, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and milk together until creamy.
- Add quick oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls unto cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- We add different extras to the cookie base, this time we did milk chocolate chips and toasted coconut and they were really yummy.