This Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Copycat tastes just like the popular restaurant dish! Crisp veggies, chow mein, and tender chicken in that creamy signature dressing. YUM!
Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Copycat Recipe
This Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Copycat tastes exactly like my favorite dish on the menu. Chock full of delicious flavors and textures, this salad is my go to anytime I visit Applebee’s. My husband loves this salad too, he specifically requested it for the menu this week. This recipe is spot on, dressing and all! You’ll love the crisp greens and veggies, the tender chicken and that creamy, sweet and tangy honey mustard dressing. Do yourself a favor: cook at home, stay in and enjoy your favorite restaurant salad without ever leaving the house!
Tips for Crispy Chicken
- To get that flavorful, crispy chicken that tops the Oriental chicken salad, start with thin strips of boneless chicken. I sometimes get the chicken tenders already prepared or I cut chicken breasts into about four or five pieces. Either way works great!
- Next, combine a healthy portion of corn flake crumbs and Panko breadcrumbs with some flour. These will give your chicken tenders that golden crispy crust you love.
- Dip the chicken into a milk and egg mixture (see recipe card below) then immediately roll them into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Make sure the oil in your frying pan is super hot! Fry the strips a few at a time for about six to seven minutes until they’re golden brown.
- Let the chicken strips rest on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- If they chicken isn’t completely cooked, you can pop the strips into a 350 degree oven for about five minutes until they’re cooked through.
Suggestions to Lighten Up this Recipe
- If you are wanting to go a little on the lighter side, we have marinated the chicken in a sesame ginger marinade (the bottled kind you can get at the store), then grilled and sliced it over the salad.
- You can also sub the mayo in the dressing for a light mayo or greek yogurt. The light version is really good too!!
More Fabulous Salad Recipes
Salads are such a great option for mealtime, especially when you add a little protein to round it out as a meal. Try a few of our favorite salad recipes:
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Steak Salad
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Cilantro Dressing
- Complete Cafe Rio Pork Salad Copycat Recipe
- Fresh Mango Avocado Coleslaw
How to Make Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad
For the Dressing:
- Throughly mix dressing ingredients. Chill until ready to serve.
For the Chicken:
- Fill a deep frying pan with about 2 inches of oil. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Whisk egg and buttermilk together in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, stir flour, cornflake and bread crumbs, salt, and pepper together.
- Use a mallet or rolling pin to pound each chicken breast evenly to about 1 inch thick. This is easiest if you place each chicken breast between two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap before flattening. Slice each chicken breast lengthwise into 4 or 5 strips.
- Dredge each chicken strip in egg mixture, then dry crumb mixture. Place each strip in heated oil and fry for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a plate covered with a paper towel or on a rack.
- Prepare salad by tossing the chopped romaine with the chopped red cabbage, and carrots. Evenly distribute salad to six dinner plates. Slice the chicken strips diagonally into thirds, or leave in strips as pictured. Top each salad with hot chicken strips.
- Garnish each salad with chow mein noodles and almonds (I like to carmelize the almonds with 2 tablespoons sugar in a sauce pan).
- Serve with dressing on the side.