This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Steak Salad is always a favorite main dish salad. With tender steak over a bed of greens and tangy blue cheese dressing, no one will even remember they are eating a salad!
This Steak Salad recipe is a simple and delicious steak salad with tangy blue cheese and creamy avocados for those nights you don’t feel like cooking a big meal. The best part? There is still some red meat for your kids and hubby so they can’t complain too much about having to eat salad for dinner! It’s a great way to use up some leftovers too! I like to make this steak salad when I have leftover steak from a previous meal—I just slice it extra thin and add it in.
With so many delicious salad recipes you could keep the oven off all summer long! Try our classic Cobb Salad or this Grilled Corn Salad for your next busy summer weeknight supper.
Ingredients in Steak Salad
The greatest thing about salad recipes is you can throw in any vegetables you have on hand or need to use up into the dish. There’s no “wrong” ingredient when making a green salad, but here’s some ideas for this recipe to get you started:
- Steak – I like to use beef sirloin steak because that’s usually what I have leftover. But read below on the different types of steak you can use for this steak salad recipe.
- Grill Seasoning – Montreal Steak Seasoning is a favorite.
- Baby Spinach – You can use a mixture of romaine lettuce and spinach if you like.
- Tomatoes – slice up your favorite tomatoes from your garden or use cherry tomatoes.
- Olives -I just use about half a can of sliced olives.
- Avocados – pit and peel, then dice into bite-sided chunks.
- Yellow pepper – sliced.
- Blue cheese – in addition to the dressing, I like to add a few handfuls of crumbled blue cheese.
- Your favorite blue cheese salad dressing.
Additions or Substitutions to Grilled Steak Salad
If you don’t like or don’t have some of the ingredients listed above, no problem! Here are some more ideas to add to your bowl:
- Homemade croutons – cube some stale-ish French bread, and dry it out in the oven. It adds a delicious crunch to your salad.
- Diced red onion
- Corn – frozen or canned corn works great, or you can slice some grilled corn off the cob.
- Feta cheese – use in place of crumbled blue cheese.
- Green onion
- Red, green or orange peppers
What Dressing Goes Best with Steak Salad?
In my mind, there is one clear winner for the best steak salad dressing is blue cheese. There’s something about the tangy flavor that makes steak somehow taste even better. However, I know not everyone is a blue cheese fan, so if you can’t stomach it, change it up! Whichever dressing you choose, just do a light drizzle. Anything too heavy will take away from the flavor of the steak, which is the last thing we all want! But here are a few dressing ideas:
- Ranch dressing
- Olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and dijon mustard. Whisk together to create a tasty balsamic vinaigrette.
- Italian dressing
- French dressing
The Best Kind of Steak to Use on a Steak Salad
While almost any type of steak could theoretically work with this steak salad, I recommend selecting a less expensive cut of meat that can be thinly sliced. I usually choose sirloin or ribeye. You can also use skirt steak or flat iron steak.
Grill steak over medium high heat in a cast-iron skillet or on a grill. Depending on how thick your meat is, and how done you like it, the meat will cook about four to six minutes per side. I like medium steak, so it’s not too dry when it’s sliced.
More Steak Recipes
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- 1 1/2 lbs. beef sirloin steak
- 2 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1 tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 can olives sliced
- 2 avocados cut in large chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 c. blue cheese crumbled
- Your favorite Blue Cheese salad dressing
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Sprinkle steaks with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Place steaks on grill and cook approximately 4 to 6 minutes per side or to desired doneness. (I like it cooked medium so it’s not too dry.)
- Cool slightly then slice into thin strips.
- On chilled plates arrange spinach, tomatoes, olives, avocados and yellow peppers.
- Place steak strips over salad.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese
- Top with dressing.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
All of my kids love steak on their salads so I knew. I had to make this. It was a huge hit, we will definitely make this again!
This salad has all my favourite things! Steak, blue cheese and the greens. No better meal! Thank you for sharing.
This was delicious. I’d like to make this on a regular basis! That dressing was perfect with both the steak and veggies.
love the combination of steak and bleu cheese.recently had one in a local sports bar so am anxious to try this.love your site by the way.