For as long as I can remember my mom has made this chili. It is my dad’s very favorite. We would have at least once a week in the Fall and always on Halloween night when I was growing up. This chili is my favorite to put over Navajo Tacos, chili dogs, and chili cheese fries. There isn’t much to it but I think that is what I like about it most!
Mom’s "Cheater" Chili
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 15-16 oz. can chili (any brand works)
- 1 15-16 can chili beans (do not drain)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c. tomato juice (or to taste)
- salt & pepper to taste
- shredded cheese
- diced onions
- sour cream
- In a medium sized skillet, brown ground beef until done. Drain excess liquid and add onion. Cook until onion becomes soft and transparent. Put meat/onion mixture in slow cooker* along with remaining ingredients and cook on low for at least 2-3 hours. Top with cheese, onions, and/or sour cream.
- If you don't have a slow cooker, you can just bring to a simmer and cook on low-heat until ready to serve.
Copyright Favorite Family Recipes 2012