Chili Cheese Dogs are a favorite easy supper to make with the family during warm, summer months. Simple to make, fun to eat, these are a winner!
Chili Cheese Dogs
Who doesn’t love chili dogs? My kids go nuts for these. To them, they mean a casual supper on the back porch on hot summer evenings when mama just doesn’t want to cook. We usually have these with chili leftovers, but I’ve definitely been known to pop open a can of chili for this supper too. They are so easy, they practically don’t even require a recipe. But if you’re looking for a simple meal idea, this is your lucky day!
Suggestions for Chili Cheese Dogs
- We usually serve these hot dogs after we’ve made either Mom’s Cheater Chili Recie or this hearty Texas Chili and use the leftovers. But you can just as easily use your favorite canned chili.
- For two hot dogs you’ll need about a cup of chili. So if you’re making these dogs for a crowd, make sure to heat up enough for everyone.
- We like using Nathan’s or Hebrew National brand, but of course, any of your favorite hot dogs will work perfectly.
- Top with any kind of cheese you like! I like shredded cheddar, but my husband prefers spicy Pepper jack. The kids are partial to a milder Colby jack cheese. Go nuts with your cheeses!
- Other toppings include but are definitely not limited to: diced red onions, pickles, sliced jalapeno, relish, sour cream, ranch dressing, diced tomatoes or the good old option of ketchup and mustard.
- On hot nights we love to fire up the outdoor grill, cook up a bunch of hot dogs, then serve these buffet style so everyone can dress their chili cheese dogs any way they like. But if it’s chillier outdoors (pardon the pun) we will just use our stove top grill. When I’m serving these to my kiddos for lunch, you better believe I just microwave those hot dogs. The kids don’t care and they cook up in less than a minute!
What to Serve with Chili Cheese Dogs
Serve these Chili Cheese Dogs with a simple side of chips and watermelon, or try a few of these delightful recipes:
- Best Potato Salad Recipe Ever
- Grilled Ranch Potatoes in Foil
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves
- Mom’s Traditional Macaroni Salad
- Green Pea Salad with Bacon
- KFC Coleslaw Recipe (Copycat)
- Creamy Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad
- Carolyn’s BBQ Beans
How to Make Chili Cheese Dogs
- 1 cup chili prepared and hot
- 2 hot dogs grilled (we like to use Nathan’s or Hebrew National)
- 2 hot dog buns
- Place grilled hot dogs on buns.
- Pour half of the chili over each dog.
- Add any or all of the optional toppings.