This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Caramel Apple Dumpling Bites contain tasty little dough bites cooked with apples in a hot caramel sauce. Best served with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Featured with this recipe
What are Caramel Apple Dumpling Bites?
Caramel Apple Dumpling Bites are a variation of the popular apple dumpling dessert. They have the same delicious flavor of an apple dumpling, however, you pan fry this version of apple dumplings, you don’t bake them in the oven. We first had Caramel Apple Dumpling Bites at one of our favorite local restaurants and loved it so much, we recreated the recipe.
To make these at home, you first cook small pieces of bread dough (dumplings) in melted butter with brown sugar and cinnamon. Then, toss in sliced apples until they are cooked through. Last of all, coat everything in caramel sauce. Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and extra caramel sauce. Try our homemade vanilla ice cream for an extra touch of delicious on the side.
Ingredients in Caramel Apple Dumpling Bites
- Frozen dinner rolls
- Brown sugar
- Caramel or butterscotch sauce
Best Apples to Use
We especially love this dessert in the fall when local apples are ripe. You can use any variety of fresh apples for this recipe but we prefer tart and crisp apples, like Granny Smiths or Pink Ladies. Never make it with a really sweet and soft apple like a Red Delicious, it will not taste as good and get too mushy. Braeburn, Galas, and Honeycrisps work great for this recipe too.
Apple dumplings and these caramel apple dumpling bites have a similar set of ingredients. Apples are cooked in a pie or crescent roll dough with a caramel-like sauce. When baked, they are often soaked in some kind of pop, like Sprite or Mountain Dew.
Apple dumplings can be served warm or cold, however, caramel apple dumpling bites are best served hot with vanilla ice cream on the side.
Apple dumplings are thought to have originated near Pennsylvania in the United States. They are often served as a dessert or breakfast in many Amish communities and restaurants.
Read Next:33+ Easy Dessert Ideas
More Apple Recipes
If you have an abundance of apples this year or are just looking to try some new apple recipes, we have more to share with you!
- Dutch Apple Pie – You bake this pie in a brown paper bag! It sounds strange, but trust us, it is delicious!
- Disneyland Apple Pie Caramel Apples – These Mickey shaped Apple Pie Caramel Apples are as tasty as they are cute. A real treat for Disney lovers!
- Traditional Apple Crisp – I don’t know of many desserts better than apple crisp. Cooked apples with cinnamon and sugar topped with a brown sugar, oatmeal, and cinnamon crispy topping. Yum!
- Copycat Bleubird Turkey and Brie Sandwich – Have you ever had a turkey sandwich with slices of apple on it? You have to try it. It is so flavorful with Brie cheese and fig butter.
- Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts – Dress up a plain grilled cheese with two kinds of cheeses, apple slices, and apple butter. You have to try it!
How to make Caramel Apple Dumpling Bites
Caramel Apple Dumpling Bites
- 18 frozen dinner rolls (thawed, but not raised)
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted not margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- In a large fry pan, melt butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon together over medium heat.
- Cut 18 thawed dinner rolls into 4 quarters. Add the mini roll bites into the butter/brown sugar mixture and toss to coat. Place lid over fry pan and let cook while you cut and slice the apples.
- Peel and slice the apples into wedges.
- Turn over the rolls in the fry pan and toss in the apple wedges. The rolls should be golden brown on one side.
- Continue to fry (stir occasionally) until apples and rolls are thoroughly cooked.
- Spoon the mix onto a plate and drizzle a little caramel sauce over the top. Serve with a side of vanilla ice cream.
- Any crisp, cooking apple can be used in place of the Granny Smith apples.
- We use Rhodes frozen dinner rolls for this recipe.
- Favorite caramel sauce brands: Ghirardelli Premium Caramel Sauce, Mrs. Richardson’s Caramel Topping, Torani Caramel Sauce.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
My kids love apple desserts and this quickly became one of their favorites!
I think I’m going to start with a double batch because I can see my boys basically inhaling them and I want to make sure I get a few too, haha! They look amazing!
These look yummy! Cannot wait to try them!
These are incredible- so good!
Oh my goodness. This is caramel apple HEAVEN!
help! If we don’t have Rhodes dinner rolls, what would be a good substitute? These look amazing and so much easier than full dumplings!
You could just use homemade uncooked roll dough.
OMG…Absolutely divine…Makes enough for 4 to 5 people..Very Easy to make.I used Rhodes bread loaves,only 1 loaf needed,tear into pieces
Thank you, Kim! And thank you for sharing the idea of using a Rhode’s bread loaf!
Hi was just wondering what Rhodes bread is ?
It’s uncooked frozen roll dough, that you can get at the grocery store
These look sinful!,,,
I am very impressed by what I’ve seen and how all the family has come together may you continue to be blessed in your hard work and reap the blessings that are in store for you and the family and the business.
Thank you so much! That means a lot to us. 🙂
Sooooo Good!!! Absolutely love this recipe.
I know, I seriously need to make it again, soon!
Love these and most of your recipes – u 3 sisters. Thanks.
YUM! This looks incredible! I’m pinning it and can’t wait to give it a try!
This looks and sounds crazy good!
I am SO making these for dessert tonight! Thank you so much.
Don’t you just love it when you try a restaurant recipe at home and it turns out better than the original? These look amazingly delicious! 🙂
Wow! These look delicious!