Creamed Peas and Potatoes are a versatile side dish with vibrant crisp peas and tender potatoes. Creamy comfort food at its finest!
Creamed Peas and Potatoes
Creamed Peas and Potatoes was always a favorite side dish growing up. My mother would add fresh peas from our garden along with tender chunks of beautiful red potatoes. It’s a terrific dish to serve with baked chicken, turkey, roasted pork, meat loaf or steak. We have even served this for Easter dinner. on multiple occasions. It’s easy to make, very inexpensive, and always a crowd pleaser!
Suggestions for Creamed Peas and Potatoes
- Fresh, garden peas are divine in this recipe but you can easily use frozen peas too. They’re crisp, vibrant and so yummy! If you’re using fresh peas, be sure to blanch them first.
- Many people like to make this recipe with heavy cream or half-and-half for creaminess, but I actually like to use skim milk. I know it sounds weird, but trust me. Skim milk cuts down on calories, and really it tastes super creamy and delicious.
- Creamed peas and potatoes are a perfect dish for kids of all ages. It’s so easy to mash up if you have a child who prefers mashed potatoes. It makes terrific baby food too!
- This recipe is easy to adjust for crowds if you need a side dish for a pot luck. It also makes yummy leftovers!
- Peas and potatoes actually have tremendous health benefits! Peas are a good source of vitamin K, manganese, fiber, vitamins B1, B6, B2, and vitamin C. There are many good reasons your mother told you to eat your peas! Peas are low in calories, low in fat, high in fiber, and high in protein. And potatoes! They have more potassium than a banana. Because potatoes are high in fiber, the help lower cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease. Potatoes are also high in vitamin C and vitamin B6. You can feel great about preparing this healthy dish for your family!
More Potato Side Dishes
I tend to get in a rut of turning to baked potatoes or mashed potatoes as a side dish. Potatoes are so versatile and go well with many vegetables. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Pesto Potatoes – These diced potatoes are coated in pesto and roasted to perfection. So easy and packed with flavor!
- Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts – Another easy side dish! The bacon adds a tasty dimension – a must try!
- Roasted Red Caesar Potatoes – Red pepper, Caesar salad dressing, and Parmesan cheese flakes give these potatoes a unique Italian zest.
- Grilled Foil Ranch Potatoes – These potatoes are great in the summer. Throw them on the grill at your next BBQ. The packets can be loaded with bacon, ham, onions, peppers, and/or cheese. The clean-up is so easy!
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves – This is one of the most popular recipes on our site. The potato halves are cooked in butter and Parmesan cheese giving the potatoes a crispy, flavorful topping.
How to Make Creamed Peas and Potatoes
Creamed Peas and Potatoes
- 6-8 red potatoes cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- Boil potatoes in salted water until just done/fork tender, approximately 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your potato cubes (you don't want them overdone or they will get mushy real quick).
- Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Slowly add flour, stirring, until flour/butter mixture becomes doughy (you may not need all the flour).
- SLOWLY add milk, whisking constantly until mixture becomes smooth and creamy. You want it to be a gravy consistency so add more milk if it seems too thick.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add peas and bring to a slight simmer.
- Carefully fold creamy mixture into potatoes until potatoes become well covered and serve!