Creamy Potatoes and Peas were a favorite side dish growing up. It is creamy comfort food at it’s best, especially with peas fresh from the garden.
I loved these creamy potatoes and peas as a side dish when we were growing up. Of course, it tastes best with fresh, garden peas but frozen peas work fine too. If you are using garden peas, be sure to blanch them first. This is a great dish to serve with any kind of meat – chicken, turkey, pork, or steak. It taste especially good as a side dish to meat loaf.
Many people make these with heavy cream or half-and-half to make them extra creamy but I like to use skim milk. I honestly can’t taste that much of a difference but I know the calorie difference is huge. This is so great for kids of all ages. It is easy to mash up if you have a child that prefers mashed potatoes or for babies (my 10-month old LOVES this stuff). It is a great alternative to your typical baked potato side dish. It is easy to adjust the recipe for crowds if you are needing a side dish for a potluck. Another benefit to this recipe is that it is inexpensive to make.
Did you know peas have some great health benefits? They are a good source of vitamin K, manganese, fiber, vitamins B1, B6, B2, and vitamin C. There are many good reasons your mother told you to eat your peas! Peas are low in calories, low in fat, high in fiber, and high in protein. Peas have anti-inflammatory properties and they are good for digestion and eye-sight. Peas also prevent hair loss and can help in the prevention of diseases like Alzheimer’s, arthritis, and stomach cancer.
Potatoes are also so good for you! They have more potassium than a banana. Because potatoes are high in fiber, the help lower cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease. Potatoes are also high in vitamin C and vitamin B6. You can feel great about preparing this healthy dish for your family!
More Potato Side Dishes
I tend to get in a rut of turning to baked potatoes or mashed potatoes as a side dish. Potatoes are so versatile and go well with many vegetables. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Pesto Potatoes – These diced potatoes are coated in pesto and roasted to perfection. So easy and packed with flavor!
- Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts – Another easy side dish! The bacon adds a tasty dimension – a must try!
- Roasted Red Caesar Potatoes – Red pepper, Caesar salad dressing, and Parmesan cheese flakes give these potatoes a unique Italian zest.
- Grilled Foil Ranch Potatoes – These potatoes are great in the summer. Throw them on the grill at your next BBQ. The packets can be loaded with bacon, ham, onions, peppers, and/or cheese. The clean-up is so easy!
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves – This is one of the most popular recipes on our site. The potato halves are cooked in butter and Parmesan cheese giving the potatoes a crispy, flavorful topping.
Creamy Potatoes and Peas
Boil potatoes in salted water until just done/fork tender, approximately 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your potato cubes (you don't want them overdone or they will get mushy real quick).
Drain and set aside.
In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
Slowly add flour, stirring, until flour/butter mixture becomes doughy (you may not need all the flour).
SLOWLY add milk, whisking constantly until mixture becomes smooth and creamy. You want it to be a gravy consistency so add more milk if it seems too thick.
Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Add peas and bring to a slight simmer.
Carefully fold creamy mixture into potatoes until potatoes become well covered and serve!