I loved these creamy potatoes and peas as a side dish when we were growing up. Of course it tastes best with fresh, garden peas (you will want to blanch them first) but frozen peas work fine too. This is a great dish to serve with chicken, pork, steak.. pretty much anything! Many people make these with heavy cream or half-and half to make them extra creamy but I like to use skim milk– I honestly can’t taste that much of a difference but I know the calorie difference is huge. This is so great for kids of ALL ages. It is easy to mash up if you have a kid that prefers mashed potatoes or for babies (my 10-month old LOVES this stuff). It is a great alternative to your typical baked-potato side dish. It is easy to adjust the recipe for crowds if you are needing a side dish for a potluck… plus it is really cheap to make!
- Boil potatoes in salted water until just done/fork tender, appx. 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your potato cubes (you don't want them overdone or they will get mushy real quick).
- Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Slowly add flour, stirring, until flour/butter mixture becomes doughy (you may not need all the flour).
- SLOWLY add milk, whisking constantly until mixture becomes smooth and creamy. You want it to be a gravy consistency so add more milk if it seems too thick. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add peas and bring to a slight simmer.
- Carefully fold creamy mixture into potatoes until potatoes become well covered and serve!