Lemon Rice is a fragrant, zesty, and oh so easy side dish! Simple yet savory, fast yet flavorful, this rice recipe will become a favorite in your family!
Easy Lemon Rice
Move over, plain white rice! This Lemon Rice will become your new go-to side dish for just about anything. I spent years serving boring rice to my family before discovering that adding a few simple pantry staples takes ordinary rice from bland to brilliant in no time! It’s not just healthy; it’s absolutely divine! It goes perfectly with chicken, pork, veggies, kabobs, or just on its own. The delicate lemon flavor pairs beautifully with simple spices that give off not only a glorious flavor, but savory aroma as well. Enhance your dining experience right in your own kitchen with this decadent yet simple side dish.
Tips for Perfect Lemon Rice
- No need to complicate the rice cooking process. Prepare your rice as you normally would, in a rice cooker, instant pot or on the stove. Then add the extra ingredients as directed in the recipe card below.
- For an added depth of flavor, prepare the rice using chicken broth instead of water.
- For an even creamier texture, I’ve seen recipes where the rice is cooked in broth and milk instead of water. The milk gives the rice a soft, creamy texture and flavor. I’ve never tried it in this particular recipe, but it’s next on my list!
- Try topping the rice with chopped cashews or peanuts for a delicious crunch.
- For a more authentic Indian flavor, add cilantro, curry powder (about half a teaspoon) or diced green chiles.
- Garnish with thin lemon slices and cilantro.
You can use white, brown, long grain or short grain rice with this recipe. The less starchy the rice, the better though, because you’ll want the rice grains to be separate rather then clumpy. This rice tastes much better without a mushy texture.
Fresh squeezed lemon juice is best, but you can easily substitute bottled lemon juice too; it still gives off that fragrant lemony flavor and aroma. In a pinch, lime juice can be used too.
What to Serve with Lemon Rice
This rice is delicious on its own or with any Indian or Greek style recipe. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Low Fat Lemon Chicken Kabobs
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Grilled Caribbean Shish-Kabobs
- Baked Salmon with Lemon
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Coconut Curry Peanut Chicken
- Chicken Coconut Korma
Easy Lemon Rice
- Cook rice in a rice cooker or according to package directions.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour the sauce slowly over rice while fluffing with a fork.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro and lemon slices.