Kronk’s Spinach Puffs are savory, buttery, cheesy snacks straight out of Emperor’s New Groove. Keep an eye on them in the oven so you don’t have to yell, “My spinach puffs!!”
We love recreating treats from the books and movies we love! Some of our favorites include Butterbeer from Harry Potter, Ratatouille from Pixar’s Ratatouille, Beignets from Princess and the Frog, and Street Corn from Nacho Libre. Browse through these, or our other kid-friendly treats before your next movie night!
Kronk’s Spinach Puffs
The dinner scene in Emperor’s New Groove is one of my favorites. I love the dramatic dining room and the sneaky plots. I especially love how dedicated Kronk is to making a delicious dinner, even though it is just part of the deception. Of course the most memorable quote is Kronk yelling “My spinach puffs!!” when he thinks they are burning. Naturally, my kids wanted to know what spinach puffs were like and we came up with this recipe! I promise no one will ever say, “I NEVER liked your spinach puffs!!” when you make this recipe.
Your kids may turn up their noses when they hear “spinach” but trust me, they’ll love these. The spinach gets mixed in with bacon, garlic, fresh dill, and two types of cheese! In this spinach puff recipe I used cream cheese and feta cheese. Cream cheese is important to forming the right texture for the filling, but you can switch up the feta cheese if you’d like! It would be delicious with parmesan, fontina, mozzarella, Swiss, or even goat cheese!
Other Appetizer Recipes You’ll Love
These Spinach Puffs make great appetizers for parties! They are easy to make and the muffin shape makes them easy to eat in a reception-type setting. If you’re planning an event and need more ideas, try some of our favorite appetizers!
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves are the perfect side dish, or put them out for a great party food.
- Bacon Wrapped Lil Smokies are a classic appetizer with an even better (and bacon-ier) taste!
- Shrimp Taco Bites with Cilantro Cream Sauce are perfect when you’re planning a party, but don’t have a lot of time.
- Warm Bacon Cheese Dip in Sourdough is creamy dip is baked in the oven right in the sourdough bowl and served warm.
- Instant Pot Meatballs can be used as an appetizer, or a yummy addition to a favorite Italian pasta dish. And they’re so easy!
How to Make Kronk’s Spinach Puffs
Kronk’s Spinach Puffs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 3 cups spinach finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 3 slices of bacon cooked and chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 2 eggs separated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.1 pounds puff pastry two sheets of frozen pre-made puff pastry, thawed
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add shallots and cook until transparent. Add spinach, garlic, and dill. Cook until spinach has wilted and garlic is fragrant.
- In a large bowl, mix the spinach mixture with bacon, cream cheese, feta, one egg yolk, and salt and pepper.
- Roll the puff pastry dough out and cut into 12 squares. Place each square in a cup of the muffin tin.
- Fill each cup with a rounded tablespoon of the spinach mixture.
- Pinch the corners of the pastry squares together. Mix the remaining egg and egg white together and brush over each pastry.
- Bake at 450 for 25 minutes. Serve hot.