Try the Grey Stuff – it’s delicious! This famous treat from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is full of smooth, creamy pudding, and crunchy Oreo bits.
We love recreating treats from the books and movies we love! Some of our favorites include Butterbeer from Harry Potter, Ratatouille from Pixar’s Ratatouille, Beignets from Princess and the Frog, and Street Corn from Nacho Libre. Browse through these, or our other kid-friendly treats before your next movie night!
Few cinematic scenes depict the kind of interactive smorgasbord available to Belle during her first night in the mysteriously magical castle of the Beast. And while we can’t promise dancing cutlery and crooning candlesticks, you can enjoy your own version of the most famous treat from the song – the Grey Stuff, it’s delicious! You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make this seemingly fancy delicacy.
So, What Exactly is the Grey Stuff?
I always wanted to know what the Grey Stuff was, since I watched Beauty and the Beast as a kid! They serve it at a few places in the Disney parks, but I haven’t had the chance to try it. Luckily Disney released a recipe for it earlier last year. We tested it out in our kitchen, and it really was delicious! Essentially, it is a cookies and cream pudding mixture on top of a sugar cookie base. You start out with crushed Oreos, then add vanilla pudding, chocolate pudding, and whipped topping. All of that goes piped onto a cookie and is topped with crushed Oreos and sprinkles.
Tips for Serving
If you want to make the Grey Stuff exactly like the movie and the Be Our Guest restaurant, served on top of sugar cookies, you can follow the recipe below. If you want to switch it up, try some of these other serving ideas!
- Use the Grey Stuff to fill an Oreo pie crust
- Use it as a dip for apples or graham crackers
- Spread it on top of brownies
- Use it as a filling for cupcakes
- Eat it straight out of the bowl – we won’t tell!
Make it a True Feast!
If you are wanting to expand your treats from just the Grey Stuff into a full-on feast, try some of these other recipes mentioned in the movie!
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs – It’s not exactly “Beef Ragu” but it will do in a pinch!
- Easy Berry Pie – Maybe skip the “en flambe” part for this delicious pie
- Charcuterie Board – There is nothing more French than cheese!
- Instant Pot Oatmeal – It may not be the most glamorous movie treat, but it is what the Beast first learns to eat with utensils!
- French Onion Soup – A delicious French soup recipe
How to Make Grey Stuff
- Mix the milk and vanilla pudding together. Whisk for 2 minutes and then chill for 2 hours. Fold in the Oreo crumbs.
- Add whipped topping and chocolate pudding mix. Stir to combine. Chill for an hour.
- Using a piping bag with a star tip, pipe grey stuff onto the cookies in a swirl shape. Top with sprinkles.