Lettuce Wraps are a flavorful, healthy lunch, dinner or appetizer. Simple ingredients, big bursts of flavor, and light on calories!
If you’re slowly coming out of a heavy holiday food coma like we are, you’ll appreciate this Lettuce Wraps recipe! Healthy veggies, tender chicken in a tangy rich sauce wrapped in crisp lettuce leaves make this the perfect post-holiday lunch or dinner! We order lettuce wraps all the time when we go out to eat, but this homemade recipe tastes even better!
What Lettuce Do You Use for Lettuce Wraps?
For this recipe, we love using butter lettuce, because it’s sturdy yet soft and perfect for holding all the delicious filling. But you could use iceberg, green leaf or even Boston lettuce. Iceberg is best for crispness, but it can be tough to roll. Experiment with your favorites and find what you like best.
Are Lettuce Wraps Gluten Free?
All of the light, crunchy veggies and tender chicken are gluten-free. But for the sauce, find a gluten free soy sauce. There are a few good options out there, so just swap regular soy sauce out for a GF variety and you’re good to go!
Are Lettuce Wraps Healthy?
These healthy lettuce wraps are the perfect meal to start with when you’re trying to change your holiday eating habits. They’re primarily made with crisp vegetables and low fat chicken, so they rank high on the health meter. The lettuce wrap sauce is where only a few calories will live, but the flavor is out of this world! Everything in moderation, that’s our motto!
What Meat is Best in Lettuce Wraps?
We adore chicken in these wraps because the sauce compliments the meat so beautifully. But you could easily use ground turkey, pork, shredded beef or even ground beef in this recipe.
More Delicious Salads and Wraps
Craving lighter fare for the new year? These delicious and healthy salads and wraps are light on calories, not on flavor!
- Spicy Chicken Peanut Wraps
- Easy Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Ham and Pineapple Wraps
- Grilled Caesar Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Nuts About Berries Salad
- Chicken Salad Curry Wraps
- Zesty Italian Lunch Wrap
How to Make Lettuce Wraps
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 large carrots shredded with a peeler
- 1 vinegar cucumber recipe (see below)
- 1 package ramen noodles cooked and drained-discard seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts boiled and shredded
- 3-4 mushrooms chopped and sauteed (optional)
- homemade peanut sauce (see below)
- 1/2 cup peanuts chopped
- 1 bottle Newman's Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Prepare the Peanut Sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook 1 to 2 minutes to thicken. Set aside and bring to room temperature.
- Cut the cucumber into thin wedges and marinate in the sauce while you prepare everything else.
- Core out the butter lettuce and pull off large leafs. Rinse and dry each leaf individually.
- Cook and shred the chicken, stir in the peanut sauce, then gently stir in the mushrooms (we sometimes marinate the chicken in some of the peanut sauce and grill and dice it instead).
- Place the noodles, shredded chicken, vinegar cucumbers, carrots, and chopped peanuts in individual bowls on the table so everyone can build their own lettuce wrap.
- To make each lettuce wrap, start with a large leaf of butter lettuce. Layer noodles, chicken, vinegar cucumbers, carrots, and chopped peanuts on the lettuce. Drizzle Newman's Sesame Ginger Dressing on top and enjoy!
- If you want a little more heat, sprinkle some extra sriracha on the top!