This Buffalo Chicken Salad is packed full of spicy baked chicken, cooled off by creamy avocado, crisp lettuce and dressing. A low fat salad with tons of flavor!
Buffalo Chicken Salad
This Buffalo Chicken Salad is one of my favorite dishes to make at home for lunch! It tastes just like those fancy salads you get at a restaurant, but for a fraction of the cost, and it’s super simple to make. I can’t think of how many times I forget to eat lunch on a busy day or when I nibble at my kids’ leftover sandwich crusts instead of enjoying an actual lunch. This salad is so easy to throw together, especially if you bake the chicken ahead of time! It’s time to get into all that self-care everyone is talking about and fuel your body with something delicious and good for you!
Tips for a Healthy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Bake the chicken! Baking rather than frying will give you yummy flavor with much less fat. Just cover some chicken breasts with my favorite Frank’s Buffalo Sauce and bake for about 25 minutes and you’re done!
- Really pile this salad high with veggies. I love slicing creamy avocado over the top and adding a handful of corn kernels for a sweet crunch. You could also add shredded carrots, broccoli, spinach leaves, red bell peppers, red onions, just about any vegetable you have on hand in your fridge.
- Add hard boiled eggs. Slice a hard boiled egg over the top of this Buffalo Chicken Salad for extra protein and flavor.
- Opt for low fat cheese. I like to add a handful of low fat shredded cheddar or some blue cheese crumbles. You could leave out the cheese altogether if you really want to keep this on the lighter side.
- Finally, try a low cal dressing. There are tons of delicious options out there. I like a low cal Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing for this salad.
More Uses for Spicy Baked Chicken
You can bake a huge batch of this buffalo chicken and freeze it to use later. I usually double or triple the amount of chicken I bake, then store it in Ziploc bags in the freezer. It’s so delicious on top of pizza, salad, tacos, nachos, or just plain with a baked potato and green salad. The chicken breasts will store nicely in the freezer for up to two months. To reheat just microwave or allow them to thaw in the refrigerator before heating.
Salads, Sides and More
Looking for more recipes like this one? Try some of my filling favorites:
- Boneless Buffalo Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Pulled Pork Nachos
- Steak Salad
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Cilantro Verde Dressing
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 1 Lb chicken
- 1 bottle Frank's Buffalo Chicken sauce
- 8 c lettuce
- 3 hard boiled eggs peeled and sliced
- 2 avocados peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 c. grilled corn kernels optional
- 3/4 c cheese shredded
- 1/2 c sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c ranch or blue cheese dressing to taste.. you can use low fat dressing if you are into that kind of thing.
- Heat oven to 375-degrees. Cover chicken in Buffalo Chicken sauce and place on a greased pan. Place in oven and bake about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Cut chicken into slices and place in a large bowl. Stir in more Buffalo Chicken sauce until chicken is well coated. Shred lettuce and place on plate. Add chicken, egg, avocado, corn, cheese, sunflower seeds and top with ranch or blue cheese dressing.