This Molten Lava Cake is a cheater version that is so simple and incredibly yummy! Warm chocolate cake with a melty hot fudge center served with a cold scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This is very easy to make and it tastes a LOT like the molten chocolate cake at Chili’s (yes, there is fudge in the middle)! Back when I was in college, we would go to Chili’s all the time. I would pretty much order the chips & salsa and then this molten chocolate cake Those were the good ol’ days when that was an acceptable dinner… especially right before a final.
I love how the fudge in the middle is piping hot and then the cold ice cream just evens it all out. Heaven on a plate.. or in a bowl… or however you serve it.
How to Make Easy Molten Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray custard bowls or ramekins well with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat dry cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs together for 2 minutes.
- Fill ramekins or custard bowls 1/2 full of cake batter.
- Bake 25 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the center of one and it comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the bowls and then turn the cakes out of the bowls onto a cooling rack (the cakes will be bottom side up). Place the cooling rack in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the fridge.
- Use a knife and scoop about a 1 1/2-inch hole out of the top (what used to be the bottom). Only cut about halfway through cake.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the Dove hot fudge topping into the hole.
- Once this part is done you can cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, heat one cake at a time in the microwave for about 45 seconds or until the fudge begins to bubble.
- Remove from the microwave and let sit for about 30 seconds.
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top of the cake, covering the hole.
- Pour a coating of magic shell over the ice cream, add whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry on top, if desired. Enjoy!
- Ramekins or custard bowls