This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Bring the magical world of Harry Potter into your own home with these delicious Pumpkin Pasties. These handheld treats will delight all the little witches and wizards on Halloween.
Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties
You don’t have to ride the Hogwarts Express or visit Honeydukes to enjoy these sweet and flavorful Pumpkin Pasties (although, I would highly recommend doing both!).
You can delight Harry Potter fans old and young ANYTIME with this simple Pumpkin Pasties recipe. These are perfect for Harry Potter parties, marathons, book parties, or just when you are in a wizarding mood.
Pumpkin Pasty Recipe Steps
This recipe is so easy to make.
First, roll out the pie dough on a surface sprinkled with flour. Cut out 4-inch circles and then roll them out a little bit more to a little thinner than a traditional pie crust.
Then, mix the pumpkin pie filling in a large bowl.
Spoon a little bit of pumpkin mixture onto one side of each circle.
Fold the pie dough over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Cut three small slits to act as vents in the top of the pasty.
Brush the top with butter or egg wash and sprinkle with some sugar or cinnamon sugar. Bake until golden brown and enjoy your delicious little hand pies.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort
It was a huge surprise to all of us when Universal Orlando Resort, in partnership with Warner Bros., officially announced The Wizarding World of Harry Potter would be coming to the Universal Orlando Resort in Orlando, Florida. It has been magical to experience
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure, and Universal Studios Hollywood. The attractions, the shops, and the food truly transport you into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter you experience when you read the books and see the movies.
If you’ve been to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you know how extraordinary it is. If you haven’t, add it to your bucket list! Believe me, it is a phenomenal experience. There is so much attention to detail. You will love it! I can’t wait to visit again. Please see my tips for a successful visit below the recipe.
Harry Potter Treats
Through the Harry Potter books and movies, J.K. Rowling introduced us to some magical foods, drinks, and treats.
What child wouldn’t love to have a Chocolate Frog or some of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Jelly Beans? A lot of imagination and talent has gone into creating the candies, treats, foods, and drinks we have read about and seen in the movies.
In addition to the sights and sounds, experiencing the tastes of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is another big reason to visit the theme parks! We had a tasty dinner at the Three Broomsticks. Fish and chips, apple pie, and butterbeer, of course!
The apple pie is served warm with a brown sugar crunch topping. It is SO good! The photo on the left is one of the Pumpkin Pasties from Honeydukes. Many thanks to Universal Orlando Resort for providing such a fun and appetizing day for us!
More Harry Potter Recipes to Eat with Your Pumpkin Pasties
Fortunately, it’s possible to create some of the magic in your own kitchen. This is especially fun at Halloween, for parties, or for Harry Potter movie marathons (my personal favorite).
We have recipes for Butterbeer, Frozen Butterbeer, Pumpkin Juice, and now these yummy Pumpkin Pasties. I hope to have more soon. I tried some Butterbeer fudge at Honeydukes on my last visit that was incredible.
On to the recipe! These Pumpkin Pasties are a sweet pastry with a pumpkin-pie like filling. I made them with a little cream cheese to add some creaminess and a slightly thicker consistency. They taste just like the Pumpkin Pasties you get at Honeydukes. I like the fact that you can eat them with your hands. It makes it easy for kids to enjoy without a mess.
How to Make Pumpkin Pasties
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out the 2 pie crusts. Cut out 12 circles about 4 inches in diameter using the top of a large cup, cookie cutter, or bowl. You will not be able to get all 12 circles at once. Cut out as many as you can, roll the remaining dough into a ball, and using a rolling pin, roll it out again to cut more circles.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, cream cheese, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and egg.
- Using the rolling pin again, gently roll out each circle just a little more to create a slightly thinner crust than a regular pie crust. Evenly distribute the pumpkin filling between the 12 dough circles. Place the filling on one half of the circle. Gently fold the dough over the filling forming a pasty. Using a fork, press the edges of the dough together sealing the filling inside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a few slits across the top of each pasty. Place each pasty on a baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat each pasty with melted butter. Sprinkle the top of each pasty with sugar crystals, cinnamon sugar, or colored sugar sprinkles.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until pasties are lightly browned.
Tips for Visiting Universal Orlando Resort
- There are three theme parks to visit while at Universal Orlando Resort – Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure, and Universal’s Volcano Bay. Universal’s Volcano Bay is a water theme park. To have access to all of the attractions at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you will want to purchase the Park to Park tickets for Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure. There are several vacations packages and ticket combinations available. For more information, visit universalorlando.com.
- Download the free Universal Florida Resort App before going to the theme parks. The features on the app are very helpful when navigating the parks. You can view maps of the parks, wait times, show times, and dining options. I like that you can see which rides are thrill rides, 3D and 4D rides, water rides and rides for kids.
- If you have limited time at the theme parks, I highly recommend spending the extra money to get an Express Pass. It allows you into a separate entrance and gives you a shorter wait time to get on the rides.
- My last tip is to be aware of the hours in all of the theme parks on the day you visit. Get the most out of your visit by arriving early. Before you enter the parks, there is a significant walk from the parking garages to the entrance. There is also a bag check and security area that can take some time. I suggest arriving 60 minutes before park opening to park, go through security, and purchase tickets.
Packing List for Universal Orlando Resort
- Bring a lanyard with a badge holder for everyone in your group! Buy a pack of six or more on Amazon for around $1 each here. You can also buy them at the parks, but this takes up extra time and is more expensive. You are asked to show your ticket on every ride at the theme parks. If you have an Express Pass, you may be asked to show it more than once. Having it safely in a clear badge holder on a lanyard around your neck, saves you the hassle of digging it out of a pocket or purse on every ride. This is essential if you are taking kids with you.
- Wear comfortable shoes. I cringe when I see people at theme parks in heels. You can walk between 10 and 15 miles a day at a theme park.
- Travel light. On the bigger rides, you are not allowed to take anything with you on the ride. Your things will need to go in a temporary locker. If you are visiting the park with a group, share a backpack.
- Five essential things to take with you to the theme parks:
- Lanyards with badge holders for your tickets
- Dramamine (less drowsy or non-drowsy). If you or anyone in your group has a tendency to get motion sickness, this will help make the day much more enjoyable.
- Tylenol or Advil.
- Watch the weather and bring a light rain jacket if there is any chance for rain. While Florida is sunny most of the time, there are occasional downpours. We had a short downpour on our last visit and it was nice to have a way to stay dry. A light rain jacket also helps SO MUCH on the water rides.
Our Favorite Rides
- There is much more to see and do at Universal Orlando Resort than The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you are a roller coaster fan, “The Incredible Hulk Coaster” and the “Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit” will not disappoint. We also loved the rides from some of our favorite movies and TV shows. The new “Skull Island: Reign of Kong” ride was absolutely amazing. I won’t give any spoilers other than to say you get a VERY close-up look at some pretty terrifying dinosaurs and you’re not sure if Kong is going to be the enemy or the hero.
- Another favorite was the new “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon.” What an awesome ride! You find yourself on the set of The Tonight Show and then literally racing Jimmy Fallon through New York. So fun! My son was a big fan of “Transformers The Ride 3D” and “The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.” Be sure to also plan time to see the shows and meet some of your favorite movie characters while you are there. The shows are top quality and very entertaining. We also loved the water rides.
- If you want to get completely soaked, go on the “Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges” at Universal’s Islands of Adventure. I’m not exaggerating. Every person on our ride was drenched. Save this ride for the end of the day, or be prepared to walk around in wet clothes.