This Wassail recipe is filled with citrus flavors and hints of cinnamon and clove. This version of the Wassail recipe makes a delicious powdered mix—simply add hot water and enjoy!
When it’s cold outside, hot chocolate and apple cider are the classics. However, if you’re in the mood for something new, try some sweet, spicy Wassail with a fruity, cinnamon flavor. Once you try this Wassail recipe I guarantee it will be one of your new favorite holiday drinks. Our family has it every Christmas Eve! It is the perfect drink to raise a toast to your good health and happiness in the New Year!
Traditionally, to make Wassail, you simmer all the ingredients (like fruit juices and spices) in a large pot over low heat for hours and hours. For this recipe, though, we wanted to give you the ability to have a warm cup of Wassail in minutes! The best part of this drink mix recipe is that once you make a batch, you can enjoy it for weeks! If you make the Wassail recipe as directed below, you’ll end up with enough to make 20 or more servings of soul-warming, citrus-y goodness. Once the mix is made, all you have to do is add a couple of spoonfuls to a mug of hot water and it’s ready!
What Is Wassail?
Wassail is a traditional Medieval Christmas drink served by the ladle full for the English as part of a ritual to ensure a good cider apple harvest for the year. You’ve likely heard the Christmas carol, “Here we come a wassailing…” Well, this is the drink about which they sing. Traditionally the beverage was made of hot mulled cider with curdled cream, whole cloves, ginger, nutmeg, sugar, and roasted apples.
Garnishes for This Wassail Recipe
If you want to make this into a fancy drink for a dinner party or a cozy night in, you can add fun garnishes! Here are some ideas:
- Apple Slices
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Orange Slices
- Star Anise
This Wassail recipe is family friendly but if you are wanting to add alcohol, you can add bourbon or rum.
Give the Gift of Wassail
This Wassail recipe makes an easy neighbor gift during the holidays or a fun white stocking stuffer. It’s easy to do and everyone will love it!
Just make the Wassail recipe as directed below, then spoon portions of the mix into individual airtight containers. I even have a little gift tag printable that you can use to make it super simple(click on the image below).
More Christmas Gifts
Pair this delicious Wassail recipe with some of these other treats for an even more abundant Christmas gift.
- Pecan Chewies are a fun gift for the holidays, as well as birthdays, teacher presents, and more. It’s the gift of warm, fresh cookies at home.
- Muddy Buddies are a classic treat you can’t stop eating! It’s all the crunch and sweetness you have been craving, and it’s really easy to make.
- English Toffee is so easy to make and has the perfect crunch and can be used with almonds of peanuts in the center.
Try These Other Warm Drinks:
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Starbucks Caramel Apple Spice Cider Copycat
- Unicorn Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Steamer
- Candy Bar Hot Chocolate
How to Make Our Wassail Recipe
- In a large bowl, add 1/2 cup of the Tang and the 2 tsp vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is evenly distributed. Store in an airtight container.
- To serve: Mix 2-3 heaping spoonfuls into a mug of hot water and stir.