This is one of our favorite soups. It is the perfect Fall soup.. but really it is great any time of the year! If you like Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana, you are going to love this (I think it tastes better than Olive Garden’s.. it’s not as watery). This is the same recipe Emily posted earlier except I added some bacon and onion. So if you don’t prefer bacon or onion, feel free to leave them out. Anyway, this goes PERFECTLY with our Breadtwists recipe!
- 3 cans (14oz) Chicken Broth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 small onion, diced, sauteed
- 1/2 pkg. bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 4-5 cups chopped kale
- 1 lb Johnsonville mild Italian ground sausage
- 3 to 4 potatoes scrubbed and cut into slices or small chunks (skins left on)
- Heat a fry pan to about medium heat. Shape the sausage into small rounds and brown stirring frequently. Then remove to a plate lined with paper towels to de-grease.
- Put everything except for the potatoes together in a large crockpot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Add potatoes the last 40-60 minutes (if you add them too soon they will get soggy). Serve with breadsticks.