This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Almond Joy Homemade Chex Mix combines two favorite treats: Almond Joy Candy Bars and Muddy Buddy Chex Mix! Everything you love about muddy buddies with a chocolate coconut twist.
Almond Joy Homemade Chex Mix
This homemade Chex mix is so much better than any of the pre-made snack mix bags you can buy at the store. It’s such an easy appetizer recipe that anyone can make. Chex Mix is such a terrific snack for feeding a large group whether you need something to munch for hours during a family game night or an appetizer for the big game. Plus, it fills your house with the most decadent smell while it bakes. I love having a big batch ready when the kids get home from school, too. Everyone loves the almond and coconut flavors mixed with the traditional chocolate muddy buddy ingredients. So yummy!
Suggestions for Homemade Chex Mix
- The more crunch, the better! I like to add all kinds of ingredients like Cheerios, pretzels, crackers, nuts and even rye crisps to the usual Chex cereal. All the different varieties of textures and shapes make this a fun snack for kids of all ages!
- Add chocolate! A big part of what makes this mix taste like Almond Joy is the chocolate chips. You can use regular sized semi-sweet chocolate chips or the mini versions. I’ll add a handful of M&M candies or other chocolate candy as well if I have some on hand.
- Another huge component of this homemade Chex Mix is the coconut flavor. You can toast some sweetened coconut ahead of time by placing it on a cookie sheet in the oven for a few minutes, or just add a handful from the bag. It gives the mix a sweet flavor and delicious texture.
- Similar to the coconut, I like to toast the almonds before adding them to the mixture as well. Toasting almonds in the oven gives depth to the flavor that just can’t be beat! And it only takes a few minutes to roast a few almonds. Save a few for snacking!
- If you can’t find coconut pudding mix you can use vanilla pudding mix and add a couple of drops of coconut extract to the mixture before drizzling over the top of the crunchy ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter. It’ll stay nice and fresh for about a week.
More Snack Mix Recipes
Snack mixes are super easy to throw together and are always the hit of any party or get together. Try a few of our very favorite recipes for your next gathering:
- Best Chex Mix Recipe
- Sweet Chex Mix Recipe
- Muddy Buddies
- Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Belly Button M&M Pretzel Kisses
- White Chocolate Popcorn
- Homemade Almond Joy
Almond Joy Homemade Chex Mix
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix together the melted butter and sweetened condensed milk and pour over the dry ingredients while mixing. Then sprinkle on the dry pudding mix while continuing to toss. Continue to mix until all the the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat, and spread the mix evenly over the top.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, then spread out over paper towels on the counter to cool. Here I like to sprinkle on a little extra coconut and mini chocolate chips.
- When completely cool, store in an airtight container, or ziplock bag.