If you like coffee cake, you are going to LOVE this Cake Mix Coffee Cake! I am a big fan of coffee cake and I am even a bigger fan of it when I can skip a couple steps to get it done quicker!
This cake mix coffee cake is light and fluffy, yet moist and delicious. It is so easy to do and I almost always have all the ingredients on hand. This is a pretty versatile dish, too– you can add things or take them away as you like. You can add chopped up apples to the crumb topping to make it an apple cinnamon coffee cake. Blueberries or shredded coconut make great additions, too! If you are a big fan of topping, double it (I have done this and doubled all but the butter and it was still great)! My favorite substitution is using coconut oil instead of vegetable or canola oil. It adds a slight coconut-y flavor which I love– plus it is better for you!
This is a great dish if you are have guests over. It is relatively cheap to make and it serves up to 12 people (depending on how hungry everyone is). It is a winner for kids and adults alike! As an added FYI, I have made this cake at a lower temp (325) and baked for longer (a little over an hour) and it turns our great. It just takes longer. I haven’t noticed a huge difference in the texture– it seemed pretty much the same to me. If you have extra time to spare or WANT to drag out the baking time for whatever reason, feel free to do so. However you do it, remember baking times can vary from oven to oven and elevation to elevation. Just keep an eye on it as it is baking. Enjoy!
- preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, buttermilk, oil, eggs, pudding mix. Beat with a mixer for about 2 minutes. Fold in sour cream.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 glass baking dish.
- In a smaller bowl, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and add to the sugar mixture. Mix together with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in walnuts.
- Sprinkle half of the topping over the batter. Use a knife to swirl the mixture throughout the cake. (You can also keep ALL of the topping over the top, as shown in the picture)
- Top evenly with remaining topping.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.