Cinnamon Swirl Cake is like a cinnamon roll in cake form. Sweet cinnamon crumble swirled through a white cake and topped with luscious cream cheese frosting. To die for!
Cinnamon Swirl Cake
Cinnamon Swirl Cake is the perfect dessert when you’re craving cinnamon rolls but just don’t have the time or patience for all that raising and waiting and baking. You know what I mean, right? Cinnamon rolls are WORK. But this moist, flavorful cake is just the opposite. Simple to make, super cinnamon flavor and done in a snap! I got this recipe from my friend Lesa years ago when we were in college and have been making it ever since. Every time I make this for a crowd I have people begging for this recipe. I was pretty much swatting my kids away with a stick just so I could take the picture. It’s a real favorite, and it will be for you too!
What Makes that Cinnamon Streusel Crumb Topping?
The star of this show, aside from the fluffy cream cheese frosting, which we will get to, is the crumbly, buttery streusel-like mixture that is swirled throughout the cake. The secret? Graham crackers! Combining crushed graham crackers with cinnamon, brown sugar and butter gives the mixture a crunchy texture that will knock your socks off! It doesn’t even taste like graham crackers, but provides a texture that can’t be beat. I like to swirl it all through the white cake, but save some to crumble over the top of the frosting.
Tips for Perfect Cream Cheese Frosting
Perhaps my very favorite part of cinnamon rolls is the luscious, dreamy and creamy icing that goes on top. Here are a few tips to making the very best frosting:
- Make sure your cream cheese and butter is at room temperature.
- Whip the cream cheese and butter together for a few minutes to make it light and fluffy before adding any other ingredients.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, a little at a time, mixing constantly.
- If it’s too thick, add about a teaspoon of milk at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
- I like to add the vanilla at the end, then beat on high for about three to five minutes or until it’s nice and fluffy.
- Spread on top of the cooled cake, and add a little bit of the crumble mixture on top if you like.
More Scrumptious Cake Recipes
If you love cake you are in the right place! Check out some of our favorite cake recipes that make the perfect dessert for any occasion.
- Strawberries and Cream Cake– Strawberries and Cream Cake is a great summer dessert, loaded with fresh strawberries in both the cake and frosting! Perfect for a family get together.
- Better Than “You Know What” Cake – Turn a basic chocolate cake mix into a decadent chocolate desert with a sweet caramel filling and topped with toffee bar pieces.
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake Copycat– Our copycat version of Nothing Bundt Cake’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake is a MUST TRY! It is one of our most popular recipes for a good reason.
- Carnival Cruise Warm Melting Cake– Have you tried the Carnival Cruise Line Warm Chocolate Melting Cake? If you’ve been on a Carnival Cruise, you know how amazing it is. If not, you can indulge in this decadent chocolate melting cake at home.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake– This Flourless Chocolate Cake is by far the easiest version I have ever made and it tastes just as good as more difficult recipes. It is light and decadent and has a rich chocolate flavor. And spread over the top is a silky smooth chocolate ganache.
- Chocolate Pudding Cake– This Chocolate Pudding Cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake recipe out there. There are only 4 ingredients!
- Orange Pineapple Cake– Orange Pineapple cake is a light, fruity cake with an island flair. You will love the delicious whipped creamy topping! Perfect for potlucks and parties!
- Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Frosting– This Coconut Cream Cake is a coconut lovers dream! It is a coconut infused cake, with a rich and creamy coconut cream cheese frosting, sprinkled with even more toasted coconut.
How to Make Cinnamon Swirl Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare white cake mix according to package directions.
- In separate bowl, combine cinnamon, graham cracker crumbs, butter and brown sugar.
- Stir until combined and crumbly.
- Pour half of the cake batter into pan.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture over batter, then run a knife through it to swirl.
- Repeat using remaining cake batter and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake according to cake package directions.
- Frosting: Beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Optional garnish: Reserve a little cinnamon mixture to sprinkle over cake. I usually don't do this, I like it all INSIDE the cake, but since it's that way in the picture I thought I better mention it!
- 9x13 inch pan