This Fresh Strawberry Cake is the perfect dessert year-round. This strawberry cake is loaded with fresh strawberries in both the cake itself, as well as the frosting. This fresh strawberry cake is perfect for a family get together or any time you find yourself with extra strawberries!
Fresh Strawberry Cake
This Fresh Strawberry Cake is one of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh strawberries. I find myself making this dessert often in the summertime when berries are in abundance, but it’s truly an incredible dessert any month of the year.
This cake is SO easy to whip up and it is always a crowd-pleaser. Even my husband who doesn’t really like fruity cakes LOVED this one! The frosting is light and creamy and brings out all that fresh strawberry deliciousness.
Can I Use Other Berries?
If you are not a strawberry fan, you can easily sub out a different type of berry and change this fresh strawberry cake into a totally different flavor. Some fruits that would work well instead of strawberries are:
This cake is a moist, dense cake. It’s not quite as airy as some versions, but that’s thanks to the fresh strawberries added in. The cake will still puff up in the oven, but you will need to make absolutely sure the cake is done baking or it may fall once it cools.
Fresh Strawberry Cake Frosting
Cool whip and cream cheese serve as the base for this yummy frosting, along with blended fresh strawberries. When making the frosting, you need to make sure both the cool whip and the cream cheese are at room temperature or you risk the frosting separating.
If you prefer, you can use whipped cream in place of the cool whip. Again, just make sure it is at room temperature before mixing.
Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
This fresh strawberry cake recipe makes an awesome cupcake as well. To convert this recipe into a cupcake, simply pour the batter into cupcake liners rather than the pan. You will need to adjust the cooking time down to baking for 15-20 minutes—just check for doneness before pulling the cupcakes out.
Make it a Chocolate Strawberry Cake
If you are a chocolate lover, this cake also works incredibly well as a chocolate strawberry cake. Just sub out the white cake mix and instead use a chocolate cake mix. Nothing else in the recipe changes.
Looking for more tasty summer desserts like this Fresh Strawberry Cake? Try these!
- Slow Cooker Peach Crisp: Want a warm dessert without having to heat up the house? This is the perfect solution. This peach crisp is SUPER easy to make and you don’t have to turn on a hot oven. Just throw it all in the crock pot and forget about it. Tastes best a la mode!
- Raspberry Almond Fudge Ice Cream Cake: What do you get when you combine fruit, chocolate, ice cream, and a touch of almond? Pretty much the most amazing Summer dessert ever. Everything that makes a delicious, refreshing Summer dessert all in one easy recipe.
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie: We had this ice cream pie all the time growing up. It is so easy to make and as kids, we LOVED it. We all loved pink lemonade when we were kids (still do) and this was just like Pink Lemonade but in ice cream form and served like pie. WIN. WIN. The sweet and tangy flavors taste just like Summertime – if Summertime had a taste.
- Orange Pineapple Cake: This is another favorite fruity cake but instead of the highlight being berries, this has a more citrus, island-y twist. This is a great one for any island-themed summer parties. So so easy to make and deliciously refreshing.
- Hawaiian Wedding Cake: OK this is called Hawaiian wedding cake but I am 100% sure that no one has had this for their wedding cake in Hawaii. Maybe as a side dish cake? I don’t know. This is another great cake for an island summer party. Light, refreshing, and cool (as in, chilled).
- Raspberry Lemon Cake: This cake is a little bit berry, a little bit citrus. Reminds me of a raspberry lemonade in cake form! Whenever we make this cake for potlucks it ALWAYS gets polished.
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place strawberries in blender and puree well (one pint size package of fresh strawberries was about right for both the cake and frosting).
- Combine cake mix and strawberry gelatin in large bowl.
- Mix in 1 c. blended strawberries, oil and buttermilk.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch pan lined with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
Strawberry Cream Frosting
- Mix together cream cheese and 3/4 c. blended strawberries until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar. Mix well.
- Fold in cool whip.
- Pour over cooled cake.
- Garnish with additional fresh strawberries if desired.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.