This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
With the rich and savory flavors of Cajun spices, grilled shrimp, corn, and sausage—you’ll love these Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets! Summer grilling is in full swing. And we’re loving it!
Featured with this Recipe
You are going to love this easy summer grilling recipe. The shrimp, corn, and sausage covered with cajun seasoning pack a flavorful punch of cajun flavors that will have your taste buds doing flips for hours on end. All the flavors of a New Orleans Shrimp Boil in foil packs. When it comes down to it though…the best thing about these foil packets is that they’re so easy to make! Lay out pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil and let everyone make their own cajun shrimp boil foil packets. Fold them up and toss on the grill or campfire or even the oven – no pots and pans here!
Ingredients in Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
- Corn on the Cob
- Red Potatoes
- Uncooked Shrimp
- Smoked Sausage
- Melted Butter
- Chicken Broth
- Cajun Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredient Additions and Substitutions
- fresh lemon juice
- lemon wedges
- old bay seasoning
- fresh parsley
- cherry tomatoes
- other seafood – crab, halibut, lobster
- other veggies – onions, peppers, or asparagus
Not only is there virtually no mess when making these shrimp foil packets, there is no mess when eating them either! My family will eat them right out of the foil packet, crumple up the foil, and throw it away. This is the perfect meal for camping. You can prepare the packets ahead of time and throw them on the fire when you get to your campsite. No need to wash a bowl, baking sheet, pots or pans. Clean up is a breeze!
Variations on Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
Another great thing about these Cajun shrimp foil packets is that each person can make and customize their own, which makes EVERYONE happy. This prevents picking through and removing contents that someone else would enjoy. We like to dip some of the contents of the packets in ranch dressing or BBQ sauce, but it is great as-is if you want to serve it plain. If you’re looking for more to add to your foil packet, try some of our favorite vegetable, meat, and seasoning additions:
- Minced Garlic
- Red Bell Peppers
- Yellow Squash
- Andouille Sausage
- Diced Chicken
- Cayenne Pepper
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have a grill or aren’t wanting the outdoor experience, you can also make these in your oven at 400-degrees for the same amount of time. Place each packet on a cookie sheet and bake as you would on the grill.
Yes! Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets are gluten-free when you use a gluten free chicken broth. We like to use Swanson’s Chicken Broth which is always gluten free.
Yes, flip the packet once, halfway through cooking.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
More Recipes for the Grill
If you haven’t tried grill foil packets yet, now is the time. You are going to love them! Also be sure to try our Grilled Foil Ranch Potatoes. They are a great side dish to any outdoor meal. If you are looking for something sweeter, our Grilled Banana Split Boats are the perfect foil-wrapped dessert!
Other Favorite Recipes from New Orleans
We are big fans of the delicious flavors in New Orleans. Check out more of our recipes here:
How to Make Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- 18 pieces corn on the cob (6 full cobs cut in half or in thirds)
- 4 red potatoes washed and cubed
- 25 uncooked shrimp peeled or not, it’s up to you
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup melted butter or olive oil, to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth you may not need that much
- Cajun/Creole seasoning we like to use Tony Chachere’s brand, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat grill to 400-degrees. You can do this in your oven at the same temperature. Bring all the ingredients to your work area.
- Evenly distribute corn, potatoes, shrimp, and sausage between 4 heavy-duty foil sheets (approximately 12×18 inches each). Drizzle melted butter and about 2 tablespoons chicken broth over each foil packet. Season evenly and generously, to taste, with Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Tightly seal foil packets by folding up the sides over the contents and tightly folding up the ends over the seam.
- Grill 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, flipping once half-way through
- Serve immediately. (Be careful the steam is HOT)
- Some people have found that their potatoes don’t get cooked. Some of our readers have recommended boiling or microwaving the potatoes for a minute or two before adding to the packets. We haven’t had a problem with the potatoes being under done, but this is definitely an option for those of you who are concerned about it. Another option would be to cut the potatoes smaller so they cook faster.
- If you don’t have a grill or aren’t wanting the outdoor experience, you can also make these in your oven at 400-degrees for the same amount of time. Place each packet on a cookie sheet and bake as you would on the grill.
- Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets are gluten free when you use a gluten free chicken broth. We like to use Swanson’s Chicken Broth which is always gluten free.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.