This Easy Spanish Rice recipe is an easy, delicious one pot meal for any night of the week. Have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Easy Spanish Rice
This Easy Spanish Rice was a regular rotation meal when we were growing up. I am pretty sure it was slightly different every time, though, because our mom rarely followed a recipe. I had to watch her make it to guess the amounts of everything she used in order to share this recipe with you. Sometimes she used condensed tomato soup instead of tomato sauce. Other times she used tomato juice. Sometimes just diced tomatoes. She usually just used what she had on hand. The way I am sharing here today was my favorite way that she would make it. I watched her and wrote down everything she did EXACTLY so I could get it just right!
Substitutions and Additions for Spanish Rice
As mentioned above, there are SO many variations you can make from this beef and rice recipe. Consider this a “base” recipe and then go crazy.
- You can add corn, black bean and/or peppers to give it more of a Southwestern flare.
- You can even add some corn chips to the top to make it like a Southwestern Rice Bowl.
- If you want less of a Southwestern-y flare, you can swap out the tomatoes and chiles (aka Rotel) for some petite diced tomatoes.
- Top this easy Spanish Rice with cheddar, pepper jack or Monterrey cheese. Use whatever you have on hand.
Gluten Free Recipe
Guess what? This easy beef and rice meal is completely gluten free! Our mom doesn’t use any extra seasonings besides salt and pepper when she makes this, so you don’t have to worry about any gluten sneaking in there. You don’t need to make any special substitutions or anything. Make it as-is and you are good to go. Even if you make additions like corn, beans, or corn chips, it will STILL be gluten free.
More One Pot Meals
These one-pot delicious recipes are perfect for busy weeknights! So yummy and easy to make.
- One Pot Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls: These one pot chicken teriyaki rice bowls make for the EASIEST week-night meal. You throw everything in one pot and let it simmer until finished!
- Creamy Garlic Noodles (One Pot):These creamy garlic noodles are delicious yet so easy and clean-up is a snap. No creams or large amounts of butter, making this meal a winner all-around!
- One Pot Tortellini and Sausage:This Creamy One Pot Tortellini with Sausage is a delicious meal that whips up in less than 30 minutes. The seasonings in the sauce make it so flavorful!
How to Make Easy Spanish Rice
- In a large, deep walled skillet, cook onions and beef together over medium-high heat until beef is browned.
- Add rice and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly so the rice doesn't stick to the pan.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes with chiles, and tomato sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a boil, cover with lid, and reduce heat to low.
- Lightly simmer for 20 minutes, keeping the lid in place.
- Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with cheese, then cover again for another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve.