This Easy Stovetop Rice Pilaf with Orzo is the perfect rice side dish for any meal. Whips up just as fast as the boxed stuff but tastes so much better!
This stovetop rice pilaf is the perfect side dish for just about any meal. It complements pretty much everything! Even in restaurants your side-dish choices are usually potato, steamed veggie, or rice pilaf (am I right?). My very favorite to pair it with is fish. On those nights when I just want to keep things simple and easy, I will cook up some seasoned fish with this rice pilaf and some steamed veggies and dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes. We used to buy the boxed rice pilaf but after discovering how cheap and easy it is to make (it really doesn’t take much longer than the stuff in a box), we have never gone back. You will see. If you don’t care about having a yellow color to it, feel free to leave out the turmeric. I think the slight yellow tint looks prettier on the plate (and my kids are more willing to eat it), so I like adding the turmeric.. but it’s not going to make or break the dish.
Also, if you want to add veggies the rice, feel free to add chopped red pepper, carrots, and/or peas to the rice while cooking.. they are all great additions! I have tried it all the different ways and love them all (it’s a great way to sneak in a couple veggies without the kids throwing a fit).
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 c. orzo pasta
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 c. rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric for yellow color
- 4 c. chicken broth
- Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan/pot. Add orzo and cook until golden brown.
- Add onion and saute until onions become clear.
- Add garlic and saute for another minute or so.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and remove lid. Let stand for a few minutes then fluff with a fork and serve!