This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This crockpot salsa verde chicken is so easy to make. Packed with a perfect blend of delicious Mexican flavors, no one has to know you didn’t spend all day working on it.
Featured with this recipe
This Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken is so easy.. really, it is almost TOO easy. I have hesitated even putting it on here because it is so easy. Lucky for you, I changed my mind because it is so flavorful. And easy. Did I mention that already? I love making it on those days I really just don’t feel like making dinner. Most of the time we will serve this over just plain, cooked white rice but sometimes I will serve it with cilantro-lime rice. Both ways are great. This chicken is also really good shredded and added it to tacos, enchiladas, taco soup, etc. I like to make extra just so I can shred up the leftovers and use them later on. Basically it turns one simple meal prep into several super simple meals.
Different Serving Ideas
Two boneless skinless chicken breasts, infinite possibilities. Mix it up! By using forks or a hand mixer, you can create shredded chicken for burritos, lettuce wraps, salads, or salsa verde chicken soup. Add avocado or guacamole for a creamy a delicious flavor. Try a side of black beans, a squeeze of lime juice, a dollop of sour cream, serve with tortilla chips, or plate on a bed of cauliflower rice and you have a beautiful, easy to make, protein packed meal!
Best Salsa Verde to Use
When it comes to choosing a which salsa verde to pour over your chicken in this Salsa Verde Chicken dish, we have a couple in mind. Herdez Salsa Verde and Trader Joe’s brands are at the top of our Salsa Verde Chicken recipe list. Herdez offers a unique, fruity tang to its blend of fresh green tomatillos, spicy serrano peppers, piquant onions and fresh cilantro. Trader Joe’s is an equally delectable blend of fresh tomatillos, green chile, savory onions, jalapeños and spices. Either way, you can’t go wrong with this Salsa Verde Chicken. Just open the bottle and let the Crockpot do the work.
- Chicken breasts – boneless, skinless
- Salsa verde – we like Herdez or Trader Joe’s brand
- Monterey jack cheese – shredded
- Cilantro – chopped
Crockpot Cooking Tips
Make your Salsa Verde Chicken even better with a few of these crockpot cooking tips:
- Preheat the crockpot.
- Keep the lid closed during cooking.
- Avoid over-crowding the crockpot.
- Don’t throw in frozen food (unless a specifically packaged frozen meal for crockpots).
- Cheaper cuts of meat work well in Crockpots. The additional fat and connective tissue means juicier, more tender meat.
- Add dairy at the end of cooking process to avoid over coagulation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Raw chicken takes about 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low cooked in a crock pot or slow cooker.
Read More:75+ Best Mexican Recipes
Mad for Mexican?
If you love that spicy south of the border flavor, don’t miss these great recipes:
- Mexican Lasagna is a cross between enchiladas and lasagne that is perfect for anyone who loves corn tortillas, meat sauce, and cheese layered and topped with your favorite Mexican toppings!
- For a meal that is high fiber, low fat and very flavorful, you definitely want to give this Mexican Chili in a Tostada Bowl a try.
- Easy Mexcian Chicken Flautas are a simple, family-friendly meal that won’t take you all day to prepare.
Or if you’re just looking for something easy and delicious, check out our Crockpot Pork Chops.
How to make Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken
Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Crock Pot (Slow Cooker)
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 16 ounces salsa verde (We like Herdez or Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey jack cheese shredded (or to taste)
- ⅓ – 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Spray Crockpot with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts evenly over the bottom of the crock pot and cover evenly with salsa verde.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours or until cooked through.
- About 30 minutes to an hour before serving, sprinkle cheese evenly over chicken.
- Remove individual chicken breasts from Crockpot, sprinkle with cilantro (optional) and serve!
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
Oh wow, what a simple recipe to prepare salsa verde chicken in a crock pot. Minimal ingredients, so perfect when I don’t have much in my pantry. 🙂
Yum! That chicken looks incredible! So easy too! Such a great use of the crock pot.
I made it this afternoon. OMG! This four ingredient chicken recipe is a keeper! My experience was amazing. I am happy that I have got the same result (at least, external look) as yours:)
These pics look absolutely mouth-watering! Making this ASAP thanks for sharing. 🙂
Such an easy recipe and I’m super super it’s going to be delicious. My kids would love to have this for any meal
I make the same thing at home but without the cheese since I do it in my instant pot.
this was awful. gave part of it to the dog
Sorry you didn’t like this recipe. I don’t know how it could have turned out so terribly?
When I make this dish I always add half a chopped union, two bay leaves and I season the salsa verde with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to spice up the taste. Perfect for taco Tuesday, Delicious!
Cant wait to try this ! How do you make your cilantro lime rice ?
The simple way is we just add a squeeze of lime and a small handful of chopped cilantro to the rice while is it cooking– and we cook in it chicken broth rather than water. Hope this helps!
Do you have a crockpot recipe book out on the shelves? I would love to purchase one!!!
We don’t have one on the shelves but might consider doing an e-book in the future! Thanks for the interest and we will do what we can!
Love love the recipe. So easy and fast. I added onions in mine to add some texture.
We are so glad you liked it! Adding onions is a great idea to add texture and flavor!
Pretty good but chicken needs salt before putting it in crock pot. The salsa verde from Trader Joe’s wasn’t spicy enough so it could use a little hot sauce too. I served it over rice and black beans.
Do you thaw the chicken first, or throw it in the crock frozen? I’ve seen it done both ways…Just curious!
You are SUPPOSED to thaw chicken always before it goes in a slow cooker.. (food safety).. but we will throw it in frozen all the time and it is fine. The only drawback is that when it thaws it can make the sauce watery.
This looks so delicious! Easy is what I love!
I just threw this together in my crockpot! Can’t wait!!! Please give me the recipe for the taco soup to use the left overs in!!! I dont want to follow a standard recipe as it already has salsa verde and cheese in it 🙂 Thank you!!