You can make your own Mozzarella Sticks at home with this easy recipe! Try dipping them in marinara sauce or ranch dressing.
We LOVE this Mozzarella sticks recipe! Normally, I wouldn’t think anything could get better than fried cheese, but this recipe brings out so much flavor. These are DELICIOUS and a lot easier than they seem. You can fry them in canola or vegetable oil, or even air fry them! When it comes to dipping, we love either dipping them in homemade ranch dressing or marinara sauce. Which is your favorite?
How To Make Them Extra Crispy (aka even more delicious)
This recipe is for a single coating because that’s what most people will have time for, but if you want to take the extra effort to apply a second coating and freeze a second time you won’t be sorry. This applies to any cooking method you decide to do (deep fried or air fried). After freezing the first time, just dip in the egg batter and then the breadcrumb mixture once more and freeze again for about 40 minutes.
Deep Fryer vs Air Fryer (Pros and Cons)
Let’s be honest, nothing really beats the taste and texture of a deep fried mozzarella stick. However, deep frying may not be the best choice if you are in a hurry or if you are trying to be health conscious. Here are some pros and cons for each preparation method:
Deep Fryer Method (included in the recipe below):
- They are crispier
- The coating stays on better
- The cheese stays in better
- They are less healthy
- Cleanup is tougher
Deep frying is obviously the best choice if you prefer your mozzarella sticks deep fried and perfectly crispy, golden, and melty. Cleanup can be a bit of a hassle and deep fryers can be a pain to work with sometimes, but some might argue if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right!
Air Fryer Method:
- They are healthier
- Cleanup is easier
- They can be done quickly (about 5 minutes)
- The cheese doesn’t stay in as well
- The coating isn’t as crispy
- It can get messy if the cheese leaks out (which it probably will a little bit)
If you are looking for a healthier alternative to deep frying, air frying is the way to go! They don’t quite crisp up as nicely as deep frying but they still taste great and you still get the gooey cheese (which is the best part anyway). This is an excellent choice if you want a healthier alternative and are willing to sacrifice the true deep fried texture. See how below!
How to make Mozzarella sticks In an Air Fryer
Making mozzarella sticks in an air fryer really is the easiest way to go. Here’s how to do it:
- Prepare mozzarella sticks as mentioned below through step 4.
- When it is time to freeze, you will want to freeze them for at least 90 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400-degrees F.
- When air fryer has pre heated, spray the basket with cooking spray and add mozzarella sticks (don’t overcrowd).
- Air fry for 5 minutes.
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Mmmmm I wouldn’t recommend it. The oven just doesn’t cook them fast enough. The cheese will melt before the coating will have time to crisp up and hold it all in. You will end up with a globby mess. I have learned this from experience. I have tried every possibly way to make it work and it just doesn’t. If you want to make it healthier, opt for the air fryer method (see above).
Make It a Meal
We love dipping these mozzarella sticks in marinara sauce or ranch dressing. This is a great one to whip up for a quick lunch for the kiddos. They devour these things. I like to serve them with some raw veggies that they can dip in the ranch as well. I don’t know what it is about dipping foods, but kids LOVE them (at least mine do)!
If you want to round these out to be part of a meal, add a salad on the side or serve them with some grilled chicken and veggies. To be honest, mozzarella sticks serve as a great appetizer with almost anything.
More Kid-Friendly Fare
You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy mozzarella sticks, and you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy any of these other great recipes. But we’re pretty sure your kids will like them as much as you.
- Oven Fried Chicken – Think KFC but healthier. Your kids will never know the difference!
- Easy Chicken Flautas – Great as an appetizer or as a meal! Whip these up in less than 20 minutes.
- Easy Homemade Calzones – You will love how easy these are to make. Like a pizza pocket but better!
- Baked Potato Wedges – Skip the deep fryer with these easy baked potato wedges. You won’t even be sad they aren’t fried!
How To Make Mozzarella Sticks
- Mix flour and cornstarch in a medium-sized bowl. Mix bread crumbs and garlic salt in a separate bowl.
- Dip each stick in egg, then roll in flour. Dip in egg again then roll in bread crumbs. Place on wax paper and chill for about an hour.
- In a large pan or skillet, heat oil to about 375 degrees (you can also use a deep fryer). Fry chilled cheese sticks in oil until they turn a nice golden brown color.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve with pizza sauce or ranch dressing.