This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Grilled Malibu Chicken is marinated in a honey mustard vinaigrette. It is grilled to perfection, then topped with slices of fresh ham and provolone cheese.
Featured with this recipe
Grilled Malibu Chicken is a delicious way to dress up grilled chicken. Serve it with a baked potato and a green salad for a nice Sunday dinner. It can also be served on a bun with fries for a tasty lunch. This Grilled Malibu Chicken is a much healthier version of the original Malibu Chicken that our family loves! Instead of being breaded and fried, the chicken is grilled, making it a healthier version of the original. And we even have a delicious honey mustard yogurt dip to go along with it.
What Is Malibu Chicken?
Although there are several variations to Malibu chicken recipes, the main points of this dish include chicken breast topped with Swiss cheese and slices of ham. It is usually served with a honey mustard dipping sauce. Many restaurants serve a Malibu chicken sandwich, which is a chicken breast topped with melted Swiss cheese and ham with a honey mustard spread.
Ingredients in Grilled Malibu Chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Sliced deli ham
- Provolone cheese
- Olive oil
- White vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt
- Dijon mustard
Make It A Meal
This Grilled Malibu Chicken goes perfectly with our baked potato wedges. It also makes an amazing lunch, just put in on a bun or sliced bread and use the honey mustard yogurt dip as a spread. Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions
Some ideas we had were to put it on a bun and make it a sandwich (yum!) making the honey mustard yogurt dip the spread on the bread! If you want to serve this for dinner, some side dish suggestions are potato wedges, garlic bread, broccoli, a simple lettuce and tomato salad, or any roasted veggies.
We make our Malibu sauce from Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, and honey, but some people substitute mayo for the Greek yogurt.
Read More:35+ Quick and Easy To Follow Dinner Ideas Your Family Will Surely Love
Chicken for Dinner
There are so many ways to cook up chicken for a great meal. Check out these other ideas if you’re looking to mix up your poultry fixings.
- Chicken Coconut Curry is a warm, hearty meal layered with sweet and savory flavors. This tastes even better than a restaurant and is cheaper and easier to make.
- Lemon Pepper Chicken is tangy, tender, and so tasty! Made with just four ingredients, it’s perfect for salads, pastas and sandwiches.
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food. Stuffed with tender chicken and veggies in a creamy sauce and topped with a homemade flaky crust, this is a favorite dish for a warm, cozy, family dinner.
How to Make Grilled Malibu Chicken
Grilled Malibu Chicken
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 pound deli ham sliced
- 6 slices provolone cheese
For the Marinade:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Honey Mustard Yogurt Dip:
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Stir the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Slice each chicken breast into two flat halves. Place them in a gallon zip-top bag.
- Pour marinade over the chicken and seal the bag. Turn the bag several times to distribute the marinade over each chicken breast. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- In another bowl, mix the Honey Mustard Yogurt Dip ingredients together. Cover and keep refrigerated until chicken is ready to serve.
- Remove marinated chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Grill chicken over medium heat until thoroughly cooked through and juices run clear.
- Place chicken on a flat sheet pan or cookie sheet and top with ham slices and provolone. Broil on high in the oven until cheese melts (watch closely so it doesn't burn).
- Serve chicken with Honey Mustard Yogurt Dip.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
JUST AN FYI…. THE SIZZLER MALIBU SAUCE IS 4 PARTS MAYO TO 1 PART MUSTARD MIXED. IF YOU WANT THIS RECIPE TO BE A Z E R O CARB RECIPE- JUST GRILL THE CHICKEN WITHOUT MARINATING IT- STILL TOP WITH THE HAM & EXTRA CHEESE (PREFERABLY SWISS) AND DIP EVERY LOVELY BITE IN THE MALIBU SAUCE MENTIONED ABOVE. Z E R O CARBS !!!!!!!
I am concerned that a lot of these recipes have sugar &/or processed foods in them. Does this mean they are still healthy, weight-loss meals?
These meals are lower-calorie and substitutions for the high-calorie alternatives. You can take it a step further and cut out any sugar or processed foods that you deem unhealthy if you would like.
Amazing light and delicious
Sizzler was always our family’s favorite place to eat and sadly there isn’t one close to us anymore. Tried this recipe and it is even better – and healthier – than theirs! Thank you! Would be super excited if you have any more Sizzler copycat recipes to share.
So glad you liked it! We don’t have any other Sizzler recipes at the moment, do you have any requests?
Many years ago they served a Santa Fe chicken dish which was a grilled chicken breast with Santa Fe seasonings and topped with a poblano? pepper and served with a small container of salsa on the side. I guess that it was a true Sizzler recipe. When Sizzler left our area the restaurant was purchased by an individual who kept the same type of recipes. Now that restaurant is closed, too.
I loved the Sante Fe chicken and have been hoping and waiting for it to come back. What is considered to be Santa Fe seasoning?
Thank you so much!!!
I can honestly say that every recipe I’ve tried of yours has been so delicious! This one didn’t disappoint either. Chicken had great flavor and my family all loved it. You ladies are amazing and your cookbook is my absolute favorite! Keep up the great work. (:
Thank you so much Steph! So happy to hear that you have enjoyed our recipes 😀 You totally made my day!