This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Grilled Malibu Chicken is marinated in a honey mustard vinaigrette. It is grilled to perfection, then topped with slices of fresh ham and provolone cheese.
Featured with this recipe
Grilled Malibu Chicken is a delicious way to dress up grilled chicken. Serve it with a baked potato and a green salad for a nice Sunday dinner. It can also be served on a bun with fries for a tasty lunch. This Grilled Malibu Chicken is a much healthier version of the original Malibu Chicken that our family loves! Instead of being breaded and fried, the chicken is grilled, making it a healthier version of the original. And we even have a delicious honey mustard yogurt dip to go along with it.
What Is Malibu Chicken?
Although there are several variations to Malibu chicken recipes, the main points of this dish include chicken breast topped with Swiss cheese and slices of ham. It is usually served with a honey mustard dipping sauce. Many restaurants serve a Malibu chicken sandwich, which is a chicken breast topped with melted Swiss cheese and ham with a honey mustard spread.
Ingredients in Grilled Malibu Chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Sliced deli ham
- Provolone cheese
- Olive oil
- White vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt
- Dijon mustard
Make It A Meal
This Grilled Malibu Chicken goes perfectly with our baked potato wedges. It also makes an amazing lunch, just put in on a bun or sliced bread and use the honey mustard yogurt dip as a spread. Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions
Some ideas we had were to put it on a bun and make it a sandwich (yum!) making the honey mustard yogurt dip the spread on the bread! If you want to serve this for dinner, some side dish suggestions are potato wedges, garlic bread, broccoli, a simple lettuce and tomato salad, or any roasted veggies.
We make our Malibu sauce from Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, and honey, but some people substitute mayo for the Greek yogurt.
Chicken for Dinner
There are so many ways to cook up chicken for a great meal. Check out these other ideas if you’re looking to mix up your poultry fixings.
- Chicken Coconut Curry is a warm, hearty meal layered with sweet and savory flavors. This tastes even better than a restaurant and is cheaper and easier to make.
- Lemon Pepper Chicken is tangy, tender, and so tasty! Made with just four ingredients, it’s perfect for salads, pastas and sandwiches.
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food. Stuffed with tender chicken and veggies in a creamy sauce and topped with a homemade flaky crust, this is a favorite dish for a warm, cozy, family dinner.
How to Make Grilled Malibu Chicken
Grilled Malibu Chicken
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill
For the Marinade:
- Stir the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Slice each chicken breast into two flat halves. Place them in a gallon zip-top bag.
- Pour marinade over the chicken and seal the bag. Turn the bag several times to distribute the marinade over each chicken breast. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- In another bowl, mix the Honey Mustard Yogurt Dip ingredients together. Cover and keep refrigerated until chicken is ready to serve.
- Remove marinated chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Grill chicken over medium heat until thoroughly cooked through and juices run clear.
- Place chicken on a flat sheet pan or cookie sheet and top with ham slices and provolone. Broil on high in the oven until cheese melts (watch closely so it doesn't burn).
- Serve chicken with Honey Mustard Yogurt Dip.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.