This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
You won’t believe this Zucchini Bread is gluten-free! It is every bit as moist and dense as your favorite zucchini bread made with flour.
Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
If you thought eating gluten free meant giving up delicious quick breads, think again! Even people in our family who don’t have to eat gluten free, prefer this bread over regular zucchini bread. You really and truly can’t tell the difference! The only difference is this zucchini bread might even be better than our tried and true family recipe. It is full of flavor and moisture. Serve it for breakfast, an after school snack, or even dessert. It’s that good.
Secret Ingredient: Apples
Yes, there are apples in this Gluten Free Zucchini Bread recipe. Not only shredded apples, but also applesauce. Applesauce is used to replace some of the vegetable oil to make it a little healthier. The shredded apples give this bread a slightly sweeter flavor than most zucchini breads and adds a dimension of texture.
Tips for Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
- Use a gluten free flour that can be substituted cup for cup for regular flour.
- Select any brand of gluten-free flour blend. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive brand, in fact, we use the Walmart Great Value brand of gluten flour when making this gluten free quick bread. It tastes… well, great!
- Almond flour or oat flour can also be used in this recipe.
- You can substitute coconut oil for the vegetable oil.
- Unsweetened applesauce works best for this recipe. It is already sweetened with sugar.
- Granny Smith apples work best for this recipe for the same reason. Granny Smith’s also hold their form well when baked.
- See shredding tips for the apples and zucchini below.
How do you shred apples?
This can be a little tricky if you haven’t done it before. It only takes a few minutes if you follow these easy steps:
- Wash and dry the apples. This makes the apples easier to grip while shredding.
- Peel the apples with a vegetable peeler.
- Hold the apple by the top and bottom of the core.
- Using a box or hand grater, start shredding one side of the apple until you reach the core.
- Rotate the apple and shred around the entire apple until only the core is left.
- Don’t worry if the shredded apples start to brown a little as you prepare the recipe. This is normal.
How do you shred zucchini?
The easiest way to shred zucchini is in a food processor. If you are doing it by hand follow these steps:
- Wash and dry the zucchini.
- Peel the zucchini with a vegetable peeler.
- Use a box or hand grater. Hold the zucchini at one end and apply pressure to the other end as you start grating. Watch your fingers when you get to the end of the zucchini!
Additions to this recipe
- Toss in a handful of nuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, anything you like for an additional crunch.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the bread before baking.
- Turn this recipe into zucchini muffins! Just scoop the batter into muffins tins and bake.
- Add dried cranberries or other dried fruit for a heartier bread.
- Top warm zucchini bread with butter, jam, or even a dollop of cream cheese frosting. Delicious!
Can You Freeze Gluten Free Zucchini Bread?
Absolutely! That is why this recipe is written to make two loaves. Make one loaf to eat now and freeze one to enjoy later. After the bread cools completely, double wrap it in clear plastic wrap. Wrap the bread again in aluminum foil or place it in a resealable freezer bag. Double wrapping the bread will prevent freezer burn. If wrapped correctly, this Gluten Free Zucchini Bread can be frozen for up to three months.
To thaw the bread, remove it from the freezer bag or remove the foil layer. Keep the plastic wrap on until it it is completely thawed. Slice and enjoy!
READ NEXT: 33+ Super Easy Breakfast Ideas
More Similar Bread Recipes
If you love this quick bread recipe, you will like this homemade banana bread or our delicious sweet coconut bread or this amazing pumpkin bread recipe, that you can make three different ways! And for more gluten free cooking, check out our Gluten Free Apple Pie and our Gluten Free Pancakes. Here are a few more of our tasty quick loaf breads:
How to Make Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
- 8×4 inch loaf pans (3)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Peel and shred zucchini to get 2 cups. Remove any seeds before shredding.
- Peel, core, and shred the Granny Smith apples to get 1 heaping cup. A little extra doesn't hurt. It's ok if the shredded apple darkens while making the recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs for 1 minute. Add oil, applesauce, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix for another minute. Fold in shredded apples and zucchini.
- Pour this wet mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir by hand just until the ingredients are blended well. Do not over stir.
- Use cooking spray to lightly coat three 8×4 bread loaf pans. Divide the batter between the three bread loaf pans. The pans should be about ¾ full.
- Bake for 55 minutes. This can vary by oven and altitude. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center of a loaf. If it comes out clean, the bread is cooked through.
- Allow loaves to cool 10 minutes before removing from pans. Finish cooling on a wire rack.