Orzo is a rice-shaped pasta that is popular in Greek and Italian cooking. This easy salad uses orzo and vegetables to make a tasty side dish.
Orzo Pasta Salad Recipe
This Orzo Salad is so yummy and easy to make! It is the perfect side dish for summer cookouts or dinner parties. I love how fresh and bright the ingredients are. I just can’t get enough of the Mediterranean flavors! If you want to make this salad into more of a main dish, then add a protein like grilled chicken, avocado, or shrimp.
Ingredients for Orzo Salad
- Orzo – Orzo is a small rice-shaped pasta. Be careful not to over-boil it. Remove from heat when just al dente.
- Cucumbers – I like to keep the peel on because I like the crunch. However, I do like to deseed my cucumbers for pasta salad. It can add too much moisture otherwise.
- Red Onion – If you are worried about the red onion being overpowering, then soak the diced red onion in water for 5-10 minutes before adding to the salad.
- Chickpeas or Garbanzo Beans – Chickpeas add great texture and also make Orzo Salad a little more filling. Make sure to rinse and drain them before adding.
- Pistachios – Pistachios add a nice crunch and a great salty flavor to this salad.
- Feta – This crumbly, salty, tangy cheese is the perfect addition to Orzo Salad.
- Fresh Dill – Dill really brightens up this salad and also acts as a pretty garnish!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Olive oil is the base of the dressing for this salad. Make sure it is high-quality, fresh olive oil.
- Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice – Remember when zesting lemons to stop when you see white. If you add the white part of the peel, then it will have a very bitter taste.
- Dried Oregano – Oregano is a popular spice in Mediterranean cooking and really rounds out the flavor profile.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper – Add to taste!
This is a simple Mediterranean orzo salad recipe that you can tweak to your liking. Here are some other ingredients that go great with this salad:
- Diced Avocado
- Sliced Grilled Chicken
- Diced Tomatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, or Grape Tomatoes
- Fresh Herbs like fresh Basil, fresh Parsley, or fresh Mint
- Kalamata Olives
- Chopped Greens like Arugula or Spinach
- Diced Bell Peppers
- Minced Garlic
- Red Wine Vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar
- Balsamic Glaze
You cook orzo just like you cook pasta. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Then, add the orzo into the pot and cook until the orzo is tender.
Orzo salad will stay good in the fridge for about a week, if kept in an airtight container.
Orzo is a pasta. It is shaped like grains of rice, but made from flour.
More Salad Recipes
If you love this Orzo Salad recipe, then try some of our other delicious salads!
How to Make Orzo Salad
- 16 ounces orzo pasta cooked according to package instructions and cooled
- 1 large cucumber deseeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios chopped
- 15.5 ounces chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- zest of one lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until combined. Let sit in the fridge for at least two hours before serving.