This is called Picnic Cake for many good reasons. It is the perfect cake to take on a picnic because, without frosting, it is easy to transport and it doesn’t have to be kept refrigerated. The richness of the cake makes it great for serving a crowd because you can serve smaller pieces and everyone is still super satisfied! The cake is moist and delicious on its own and the chocolate chip topping adds just the right amount of extra sweetness. Adding oats to the mix is what makes this cake is so rich and dense. I have never put oats in a cake before, but — trust me — it is AMAZING! We got this recipe from my Aunt Cathie, who is an amazing cook! Everything she bakes is so delicious and this recipe definitely does not disappoint. (If you are looking for other tasty treats to bring to a picnic, our Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats also came from her recipe book, and they are DIVINE!) If you’re eating this cake at home, or if you bring a cooler on your picnic, this cake is great served with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.
- Pour boiling water over butter and oatmeal. Let sit 10 minutes until butter is melted.
- Add sugars and mix well with a spoon.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Stir in dry ingredients and 1/2 of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and nuts on top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- The cake is delicious on its own, but is also good topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 9x13 inch pan