This Texas Sheet Cake is one of my favorite dessert recipes from my mom. This cake is so moist and yummy and feeds a crowd!
We made this Texas Sheet Cake over Memorial Day weekend and it was gone so fast and everyone was asking for the recipe! The awesome thing about this cake is how INCREDIBLY moist it is! It is seriously melt-in-your-mouth moist. The secret? You cook the ingredients in a pot over the stove! No mixer required for the cake OR the frosting.
Another factor that makes the cake so moist is adding sour cream. I get so many weird looks when give people the recipe and they see sour cream on the ingredient list, but you really can’t taste it at all and it seriously takes the cake to the next level. All of the best cakes, in my opinion, have sour cream in them! (My personal favorite is our Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake….SO GOOD!)
Alright, so we’ve talked about the cake….it’s time to talk about the texas sheet cake frosting. This frosting is so yummy and SO EASY to make! It only takes a few minutes to whip up, and you pour it on the cake while it is still warm. No waiting for the cake to cool for hours and hours and no crumbs in your frosting either! Start cooking the frosting while the cake has about five minutes left in the oven. The frosting sets up a little bit, so make sure you stir it really well right before you pour it on the cake. For easy spreading, use a rubber spatula!
When you serve this cake, it is best to remember the popular saying, “Some like it hot, some like it cold.” I love to eat this cake right out of the oven! It is warm and gooey and delicious! BUT, it is also so good to eat after it’s cooled off a little OR after it has been in the fridge for a little while. Enjoy it your way!
Texas Sheet Cake
Heat butter, water, and cocoa in pan until butter is melted.
Add sugar, flour, and salt and mix well.
Beat in eggs, sour cream, and baking soda.
Pour into a 12x18 cookie sheet pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Melt butter, cocoa, and milk in a sauce pan, then bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
Spread frosting on warm cake.
Other Yummy Cake Recipes
If you love cake you are in the right place! Check out some of our favorite cake recipes that make the perfect dessert for any occasion.
- Strawberries and Cream Cake– Strawberries and Cream Cake is a great summer dessert, loaded with fresh strawberries in both the cake and frosting! Perfect for a family get together.
- Cinnamon Swirl Cake– This Cinnamon Swirl Cake is one of my favorite desserts because it’s quick, easy and so yummy! It’s like a cinnamon roll in a cake, end everyone loves it!
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake Copycat– Our copycat version of Nothing Bundt Cake’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake is a MUST TRY! It is one of our most popular recipes for a good reason.
- Carnival Cruise Warm Melting Cake– Have you tried the Carnival Cruise Line Warm Chocolate Melting Cake? If you’ve been on a Carnival Cruise, you know how amazing it is. If not, you can indulge in this decadent chocolate melting cake at home.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake– This Flourless Chocolate Cake is by far the easiest version I have ever made and it tastes just as good as more difficult recipes. It is light and decadent and has a rich chocolate flavor. And spread over the top is a silky smooth chocolate ganache.
- Chocolate Pudding Cake– This Chocolate Pudding Cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake recipe out there. There are only 4 ingredients!
- Orange Pineapple Cake– Orange Pineapple cake is a light, fruity cake with an island flair. You will love the delicious whipped creamy topping! Perfect for potlucks and parties!
- Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Frosting– This Coconut Cream Cake is a coconut lovers dream! It is a coconut infused cake, with a rich and creamy coconut cream cheese frosting, sprinkled with even more toasted coconut.