These Coconut Pecan Nanaimo Bars are the richest, creamiest, most SINFUL dessert ever — you are going to LOVE them. But first, an introduction! Hello, everyone! I’m Kelsey, Echo’s daughter. I did a guest post a while back, but now I am happy to inform you that I will be posting regularly starting today! Make sure to check back every Sunday for the BEST dessert recipes on the internet!
Nanaimo Bars are a traditional, no-bake, Canadian recipe. They were created in a small cafe in Nanaimo, British Columbia. I got this recipe from my friend, Shannon, who was also my roommate in college. She made these for me and our other roommates one weekend and our whole apartment was hooked! The bottom layer is like a thick, no bake cookie with coconut and pecan pieces, the middle layer is a creamy custard filling, and the top is a smooth chocolate ganache. If we saw her come home from the grocery store with the ingredients for these bars, our mouths would immediately start watering. She won over not only our hearts, but the hearts of many of our friends and neighbors — she was practically famous for them, and now you can be too!
Coconut Pecan Nanimo Bars
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add in brown sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk until combined.
- Slowly pour in beaten egg while whisking to combine.
- Return to medium heat and cook for 1-2 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and pecans and mix until coated.
- Press mixture into a greased 11x7 pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, heavy cream, and pudding mix until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in powdered sugar and mix for about 1 minute.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the graham cracker base. Cover and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together in a glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
- Spread evenly over filling layer. Cover and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!