Thanks for sharing this beef stroganoff recipe, Mom! The beef always turns out so flavorful and tender. Jared likes it with rice, I like it with egg noodles… try it both ways and decide for yourself which way is best!
- 1 ½ lb. round steak
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 onion sliced
- ½ lb. sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken)
- 1 c. milk (or 1 can beef broth)
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
- Pound meat to tenderize, then cut into VERY thin strips. Place flour and salt in plastic baggie. Add meat and shake to coat. Melt butter in large skillet or frying pan. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until onions are transparent. Add meat and all of the flour that is left in the bag.
- Cook meat until brown. Add the soup and milk, stir and cover.
- Simmer and stir occasionally, for about 2 hours or until meat is tender. If you don’t want to watch it that close you could put in a crock pot for 2 or 3 hours to simmer and tenderize. (This is a tougher cut of meat and takes a long time to tenderize.) It will thicken, but if it becomes too thick you can add more milk or beef broth.
- Add sour cream and Worcestershire sauce just before serving.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.
Copyright Favorite Family Recipes 2012